The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   Well, I guess she got the bug! (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/well-i-guess-she-got-bug-153398/)

Nightside 02-13-2013 08:16 PM

Well, I guess she got the bug!

My daughter is a year and a half and very strong for her age. I only ride when she is away with her grandparents or my husband is home to watch her, as I don't have a saddle yet and don't trust the horses bareback with both of us. So, she's never seen me ride.

My husband came outside while I was riding about a week ago, with her in tow, to ask me something. She looked like she was in awe andhad a fit when he brought her back in. Now, she knows horses as the carrot eating things and won't say horse, just cow. But now she's gotten a little obsessed. The rocking horse that whinnies and makes clip clop noises that has been collecting dust for 6 months is now the latest and greatest thing. She will hold the reins on it instead of the handles and looks like she will about flip the thing with as hard as she likes to make it rock, and she will ride like that for as long as the clip clop and whinny sounds go, then stop, have me press the button, and continue.

So today I put her on my older paint mare who has more brakes than go, and just sat her there (while holding her of course) to see what she would do. She instantly grabbed her mane and tried pushing me away, saying No! And Mine! And clicking her tongue. Cracked me up. I'll seeif daddy will take a picture tomorrow, I didn't have enough hands to do it all! I don't think I was horse crazy til about 5! Good thing I already bought her some ponies to train for her in the next few years. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

demonwolfmoon 02-13-2013 08:46 PM

Lol that's so cute! My son has never liked doing anything with my horse...he's three. All of the sudden, he's riding his little black hobby horse around saying "Mommy...it's MAYA!" (the BO's TWH). Then I show him a shy Shetland colt. Shetland colt walks up to my son and starts sniffing his chest like they're buds....my son grabs the brush from me and starts brushing the colt. There they are, the horse hater and the people hater, acting like a real horse and it's boy, oblivious to me standing there with my jaw on the floor. xD

Kids! :rofl:

Nightside 02-14-2013 09:33 AM

That's hilarious. The ponies are two Shetlands and they can't be touched yet, about as wild as little mustangs. Maybe when she's older she'll have more luck than I am having now, and she'll show me up. She can already sit through the bucks of her rocking horse. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Maple 02-14-2013 03:58 PM

146 Attachment(s)
My young lad has gone horse mad at the moment as well! I watch some... ok.. ALOT of racing and he "gallops" around the sitting room attempting to whinny.. which sounds more like a constipated cow haha.

FGRanch 02-14-2013 04:34 PM

Glad to hear she is getting into horses at such a young age, just take it slow and keep everything happy a positive.

My youngest, he will be 3 in April, keeps asking if he can ride the breeding stallion (who is very well broke, was shown for 7 years and won tons of championships and money) Everytime we go to the barn he stands with the stallion, Flash, and says "Mommy, I ride Flash, k? I go riding Flash, ok?!" It cracks me up!

Maple 02-14-2013 04:40 PM

146 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FGRanch (Post 1894414)
Glad to hear she is getting into horses at such a young age, just take it slow and keep everything happy a positive.

My youngest, he will be 3 in April, keeps asking if he can ride the breeding stallion (who is very well broke, was shown for 7 years and won tons of championships and money) Everytime we go to the barn he stands with the stallion, Flash, and says "Mommy, I ride Flash, k? I go riding Flash, ok?!" It cracks me up!

At least you know he's got the eye for a good one! :-)

countrylove 02-15-2013 08:16 PM

My 6 year old son just caught the bug too :D I am one happy momma! My oldest who is 8 in less than a month was practically born and raised on a horse. You'd think it come natural for her but nope LoL she could care less

My son went from kinda scared but mostly uninterested to mucking pens, filling water troughs and helping feed without having to be asked. He learned to catch, halter, and fully groom my mare including picking her feet. Its been nearly a month and he is starting lessons. All it took was getting him in the saddle and he is hooked.

I soooo hope this isn't a phase :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Nightside 02-16-2013 08:41 AM

Haha, I would love having someone to ride with. Without a trailer, my options are pretty limited but having a constant companion for the back yard rides would be pretty great!
Posted via Mobile Device