The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Is she REALLY an appaloosa? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/she-really-appaloosa-153400/)

TruGing 02-13-2013 07:37 PM

Is she REALLY an appaloosa?

I'm a little perplexed by an 'appaloosa' mare i rode the other day. She's almost 16 hands tall, super stocky with a really chunky head, has a thick mane and tail, and is solid bay with no visible mottled skin or stripes on her hooves.

Is she really an appaloosa?

According to my trainer she is a registered appaloosa, and i trust her, but...
She's not the owner and i don't know the owner to ask her so I just thought I'd ask here if anyone knows of or owns a registered appaloosa of this description. She has none of the traits mentioned in the breed standards i read and she's so stocky and big, i always thought appaloosas were lighter and smaller.

tell me what you think!

Joe4d 02-13-2013 07:46 PM

not in my opinion, But that wouldnt be the only breed the registries have ruined. basically turning appaloosas into a colored QH breed.

DraftyAiresMum 02-13-2013 07:55 PM

Appaloosas now come in all shapes, sizes, and builds. My best friend had a registered appy gelding who you would have sworn was a tall QH or even a TB if you saw him out in the field. Only the more "foundation" type appys retain the characteristic smaller build and wispy mane and tail. And, just like paints, it's entirely possible to have a horse born with no pattern expression. Doesn't mean it isn't purebred, just means that the genetic switch that tells the color to express didn't get switched on during development.
Posted via Mobile Device

TexasBlaze 02-13-2013 07:56 PM

Yes she CAN be a registered appaloosa with a thick tail and no molting or spots.

Celeste 02-13-2013 07:59 PM

How old is she? This is my daughter's 26 year old appaloosa. She totally looked bay when she was 3 years old.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...16cab68392.jpg

stevenson 02-13-2013 08:05 PM

if she is registered she is a solid. many appys are not spotted.

TruGing 02-14-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 1893291)
How old is she? This is my daughter's 26 year old appaloosa. She totally looked bay when she was 3 years old.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...16cab68392.jpg

She's 12 so i don't think thats it, but it looks like i got my answer anyway. Thanks everyone!

Faceman 02-16-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruGing (Post 1893254)
I'm a little perplexed by an 'appaloosa' mare i rode the other day. She's almost 16 hands tall, super stocky with a really chunky head, has a thick mane and tail, and is solid bay with no visible mottled skin or stripes on her hooves.

Is she really an appaloosa?

According to my trainer she is a registered appaloosa, and i trust her, but...
She's not the owner and i don't know the owner to ask her so I just thought I'd ask here if anyone knows of or owns a registered appaloosa of this description. She has none of the traits mentioned in the breed standards i read and she's so stocky and big, i always thought appaloosas were lighter and smaller.

tell me what you think!

There is no reason from your description that would mean she is not an appy.

In the first place, there were two conformation types in the original Appys. One was the rangey light-horse type, and the other was developed later and included draft blood, which is why some Appys are heavier with thicker necks.

In the second place, ApHC, thre primary Appys registry, permits outcorssing to Arabs, Thoroughbreds, and Quarterhorses, so there are differing conformations in "Appys" as registered by ApHC - many Appys actually have little Appy blood in them. ApHC is NOT a breed registry - it is a registry that registers horses that are either all or part Appy.

Third, not all Appys carry the gene that gives them Appy characteristics. Even when 2 colored Appys are crossed, there is still a 25% chance the resulting offspring will be solid.

So, it is entirely possible that a 16 hand solid colored horse can be a registered Appy, and it is entirely possible the horse could be predominantly Appy as well as part Appy...

Oldhorselady 02-16-2013 10:34 AM

I have someone at our ranch that has two appaloosas....they are both geldings and at least 16hh and very big boys physically. I think the english girth they just bought is a 50". I thought they were smaller too and she told me there are two types.

AllieJ333 02-22-2013 08:51 PM

Not all appaloosas have spots.