The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Is my mare pregnant or not? US today, still not sure. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/my-mare-pregnant-not-us-today-153407/)

sssmith 02-13-2013 08:19 PM

Is my mare pregnant or not? US today, still not sure.

I just bought a mare 3 days ago that was supposed to be in foal. When I went to pick her up her previous owner informed me that he had seen his stallion cover her about 2-4 weeks ago. She had been in the pasture with the stallion since she had foaled 8 months ago. He said that she should have been bred on her 9 day heat, but if she slipped the foal (which she had no history of doing), then she was definitely bred now since he had seen his stallion breed her for sure 2-4 weeks ago. I didn't mind either way because I actually bought her as a breeding prospect to my stallion,... so I took her today and had an ultrasound done and the vet told me that she is not pregnant and that she is "not cycling"... so I brought her home and turned her out with my stud... he is never forceful with mares, he is a sweet talker and doesn't force himself on them, so I knew she was safe. I let her go and she ran straight to him and started backing up and rubbing her rear on his chest, after a few minutes of that he mounted her and bred her, and she keeps going back to him and winking and rubbing.... so I called her previous owner just to let him know she wasn't pregnant after all and he told me she was actually in the pasture with his stud until the day I picked her up (3 days ago)! So, my question is: if shes not cycling then why is she making my stud breed her??? and could she actually be pregnant from the other stud and its just too early to detect and that's why shes not cycling?

CLaPorte432 02-13-2013 08:22 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Some mares will allow to be bred even when they are not cycling. Some will allow a stallion to continue breeding her even if they are 6, 7, 8 months pregnant.

Your mare is a major flirt.

She cannot be pregnant if she has had an ultrasound and has no follicles present. (Not cycling)

And if she is not cycling...well...its winter in the US. Not sure where your from, but i think a stallion owner and breeder should know and understand these basics of reproduction.
Posted via Mobile Device

sssmith 02-13-2013 10:11 PM

I am in the US, but I live in Texas and we have been having 75 degree days, and my other mares are cycling, however I haven't had them checked by the vet yet because I didn't have plans on exposing them to the stallion until April. I went ahead and put her with him today because she is new to the herd of mares and one of my mares is aggressive with her... it just worked out that way. On another note, I am NEW to breeding (on purpose anyway, I did rescue a mare that had a baby about 3 years ago), but as far as being responsible, I go by all of my vets recommendations and I am in contact with him on nearly a daily basis. I have been a horse owner for the last 10 years, so I definitely don't know everything there is to know about them, but I strive to learn as much as I can on a daily basis, and keep learning new things every day. I asked the question because I wasn't sure if there would be follicles if she had been bred already, say 7 days ago for example. And I agree, she is a flirt... but she is a super sweet girl, and the lowest in the pecking order with the mares. I wanted to keep her healthy and safe, and he is super gentle and kind. They get along great and she seems happy now. She's a bit "overly friendly" with him, but its better than seeing my rescue mare bite and kick and run her around the pasture.

dbarabians 02-14-2013 10:45 AM

There is a foal that was born last week whose parents have been turned out together for a couple of years. this mare was bred without being kept under lights just in the pasture last year. The owners bought a couple of mares last year to run with their stud. Mares can and do cycle all year here. Not all but some.
OP if you do not mind the question . Why would you place a new horse in a pasture with one of your older ones without some sort of quarantine? Especially if the mare was with a stallion for a long period of time with being pregnant.
I would get that mare to a vet and have them check her for any viruses she may be carrying and passing on to your stallion.
No mare that has been bred before gets covered by my stallion without being declared clean by a vet. Shalom

Reckyroo 02-16-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarabians (Post 1893953)
There is a foal that was born last week whose parents have been turned out together for a couple of years. this mare was bred without being kept under lights just in the pasture last year. The owners bought a couple of mares last year to run with their stud. Mares can and do cycle all year here. Not all but some.
OP if you do not mind the question . Why would you place a new horse in a pasture with one of your older ones without some sort of quarantine? Especially if the mare was with a stallion for a long period of time with being pregnant.
I would get that mare to a vet and have them check her for any viruses she may be carrying and passing on to your stallion.
No mare that has been bred before gets covered by my stallion without being declared clean by a vet. Shalom

I agree - our mare was swabbed etc and the stallion checked (not sure what they do there) and both given a clean bill of health before being let out together.:D

MainelyDraft 02-16-2013 04:39 PM

She did say that she had the vet out to US the mare, she may have had the mare tested at that time as well.