The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   I hate these decisions (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/i-hate-these-decisions-153447/)

busysmurf 02-14-2013 12:15 PM

I hate these decisions

We've had Cody (dog) for 7 yrs, and believe he was 5 when we got him. So that makes him 12/13. He's a BIG boy. Lab, Rott, Chow, & whatever mix. You couldn't ask for a better dog with young kids!

But here's the problem. We know he's going blind (his eyes are very cloudy), he has terrible arthritis that everything I've given him so far hasn't consitantly helped. I'm pretty sure he's getting senile (he hears things, or thinks he does). Despite having plenty of bones, shew toys, etc he will only chew on the kids toys, he actually takes them out of the toy box now! Or zippers and buttons.

He's fallen down the outside stairs 3 times, and stairs are the only way in / out, and the basement stairs twice. He is determined to go upstairs to sleep on the kids beds, he's demolished 2 locked child gates to get up there.

His new thing is he chews his leg. I've medicated it for being a hot spot, but that hasn't helped. He also needs to go outside every 20 min or so when we're home, whether he has to go potty or not. He will scratch at the deck door until we let him out, he's scratched the glass on the old deck door, even if he just came in from outside.

He hasn't stopped whining, even when he's wagging his tail & playing. BUT despite all of this, he still SEEMS happy most of the time.

I don't know what to do:cry: A big part of me thinks it's time to PTS. I'm afraid DD will come home from school one day to find he'd passed. The other part sees that he still appears to have a lot of life left, so maybe it's not time.

Hubby won't talk about until he's obviously on his deathbed, and last year the vet said to wait. Agghhhh.

I have to schedule his yearly soon, so I'll talk to the vet again, but I don't want to sound heartless.

tinyliny 02-14-2013 12:37 PM

The needing to go out all the time makes me think kidney/bladder issues. and the whining all the time, could that be pain? one wonders.
my mom is facing the same issue with her old dog. I wish you the best with that decision. You'll know when it's a kindness and not a convenience.

wetrain17 02-14-2013 12:54 PM

I read the title of this thread and my heart immediately sank and I thought "oh no" It's never an easy situation to get through and my heart is with you. I dread the day where I have to do this for my dog. Everyone is different in making that final decision on when it's time. I know, for me, its probably eariler then most people. Once my dog shows it's hard to get up and down, just move around in general. I know it's time. I've watched close friends keep their dogs to the very end and the dog seems to go through so much pain and suffering.

No one can make that decision for you, I wish you the very best.

DraftyAiresMum 02-14-2013 01:02 PM

If he's in that much obvious pain, then sadly the best thing you can do for him is let him go. My sister's lab got to the point your boy is at last year when she turned 16 and finally my sister had to admit that they were hanging onto her for themselves, not because she was still "doing ok." It's always a hard decision to make, but you always have to think what's best for the animal. If he's falling down stairs and obviously in pain, the best thing is to put him to sleep.

*hugs*
Posted via Mobile Device

WSArabians 02-14-2013 01:21 PM

You're right... These decisions are horrible and they absolutely suck.
Unfortunately, sometimes the right decisions are the hardest one to make - because they're painful.

((((((hugs)))))

Critter sitter 02-14-2013 02:17 PM

I started my old golden retriever on k9 aspirin I got at qc supply and she is acting like a puppy again. I know it is so hard to do these things .. I would say set and talk to the vet and make sure it is the right time