The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   Post-delivery complications with TB Rachel Alexandra (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/post-delivery-complications-tb-rachel-alexandra-153466/)

egrogan 02-14-2013 04:31 PM

Post-delivery complications with TB Rachel Alexandra

Anyone following along with the developing story of post-delivery complications for TB racemare Rachel Alexandra?

Rachel Alexandra has surgery for foaling complications | Daily Racing Form

Breeders, what is the real deal on this type of complication? Everyone is being so cautious publicly, it is clear this is pretty grave.

CCH 02-14-2013 04:43 PM

I've seen the web links on Facebook and read them. It kind of sounds like fancy talk for colic surgery. Bruising is not something you surgically remove. Now she could have ruptured the area from straining or a hoof and that would require repair. Or she could have possibly had some hemorrhaging that required them to remove the damaged tissue. 140lbs a big foal any number of things can go wrong when foaling. I'm glad they got her to a vet in time. It is nice that they are keeping her fans updated even if it is a little vague.

rookie 02-14-2013 05:45 PM

my guess is colic, or rupture/repair. Its more likely colic as the rupture and perforation would require much more work. Bruised intestine sounds like code for necrotic (dead) tissue. Which is a serious condition and would require the removal of that section. The horses with that surgery do okay. Post foaling colic is not terribly uncommon. They often go to surgery because the value of the mare is basically doubled when it has a foal on the ground. Not in the value of the foal but in the value of the mare to be able to take care of that foal. Nursing an orphan is no fun and finding a suitable nurse mare is tricky and expensive.

Maple 02-14-2013 05:49 PM

146 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rookie (Post 1894516)
my guess is colic, or rupture/repair. Its more likely colic as the rupture and perforation would require much more work. Bruised intestine sounds like code for necrotic (dead) tissue. Which is a serious condition and would require the removal of that section. The horses with that surgery do okay. Post foaling colic is not terribly uncommon. They often go to surgery because the value of the mare is basically doubled when it has a foal on the ground. Not in the value of the foal but in the value of the mare to be able to take care of that foal. Nursing an orphan is no fun and finding a suitable nurse mare is tricky and expensive.

Any money says that there is a nursemare already well in place. I know over here there are some places that's sole business is to supply nurse mares to large breeding operations if something should happen to the dam.

I'm hoping for a full, speedy recovery. Only the other day I was admiring all the photos of the foal on facebook - amazing how quickly things can change.

rookie 02-14-2013 05:53 PM

You may be right Ireland, I only know of one farm who ended up using a nurse mare and it was from a farm that specifically bred mares to be used as nurse mares. That said thoroughbreds at this level are a whole other ball of wax. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I am also not sure where the jockey association in the USA stands on embryo transfer horses. Does anyone on the forum?

Left Hand Percherons 02-14-2013 06:21 PM

Another example how the Jockey Club needs to get with the 20th Century and allow embryo transplants (and AI) on their mares. What's the harm in having a genetically less valuable mare carry her foal? If she's had complications with both deliveries, this one should be her last.

I also question the attending vets who could allow the foal to reach 140#. That's larger than a draft foal.

All these TB farms employ nurse mares. They are often better qualified to raise the foals than their dams.

egrogan 02-14-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple (Post 1894525)
Any money says that there is a nursemare already well in place.

Yes, all the articles have said the foal is very healthy and went on a nursemare last night.

rookie 02-14-2013 06:49 PM

Left Hand Percherons, its really difficult to deliver a live foal prematurely. The saying is that the foal decides the foaling date. If you go in and try to do a C-section on a mare thats not actively foaling then you are just killing the foal. Which is really different from dogs and cats where you can sort of play with due dates and still get a live baby. Induction of labor is the same thing, if the baby is not "ready" then its not going to live. The mare can decide the hour but the baby decides the date.

Celeste 02-14-2013 07:48 PM

Embryo transfer would surely be a better plan. It is crazy to risk a mare like this.

egrogan 02-14-2013 07:51 PM

Not looking good: Rachel Alexandra's condition "very serious" following surgery | Daily Racing Form or http://link.brightcove.com/services/...=2165778455001

Would be sad for the racing world to lose a mare like this.

ETA: Of course, it's heartbreaking to lose any of them. One thing's for sure, I don't have the stomach for putting a mare in foal. I just couldn't deal with the "what ifs"- if a multi-million dollar mare with the best care in the world can go through this, it just makes you think about what a crapshoot it is.