The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Riding In Jeans (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/riding-jeans-153500/)

Nevreme 02-14-2013 09:10 PM

Riding In Jeans

Since I work and ride at the same barn, and usually ride during my lunch break, I've long since gotten too lazy to change into breeches every time I ride. So I wear the same jeans to work and ride in, and usually to run errands as well. I ride English so I generally tuck my jeans into my half-chaps (or my tall boots, if I'm wearing skinny jeans), or just ride bareback. And yes, I have a cover on my saddle so I won't ruin it :)

The problem I've run into, though, is that all of my jeans are wearing out within a few months. Up until now I've just gone to Target and rifled through the clearance section, picking up whatever is cheap and comfortable. Which is now coming back to bite me in the butt; in the form of all my jeans ripping in and around the crotch area. Now, I'm definitely willing to shell out a good bit of cash for some jeans that will last me longer than 6ish months, but I want to make sure they will actually last and be comfortable before I pay it.

Does anyone here have experience with jeans that you can wear from sun up to sun down, ride, work, and practically live in, and last more than a few months? I've heard Wranglers are good, and I have a pair of those, but they're ridiculously low rise so are not very comfortable for riding (my mom got them for me for my birthday). While we're on the subject; what should I look for in cowboy boots that I can work and ride in?

Muppetgirl 02-14-2013 09:14 PM

There is a few 'tougher' brands for riding, a few namely are:
Cruel Girl
Aura
Wrangler (they make loads of different styles, you might have to look around a bit more)

They're made out of thicker hard stitched denim.....I've been riding in the same two pairs of Auras for the past 6 months, an average of five days a week and doing barn chores.....not so much as a fray.....also, boots, Ariat make some meet looking functional boots:)

Muppetgirl 02-14-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1894950)
There is a few 'tougher' brands for riding, a few namely are:
Cruel Girl
Aura
Wrangler (they make loads of different styles, you might have to look around a bit more)

They're made out of thicker hard stitched denim.....I've been riding in the same two pairs of Auras for the past 6 months, an average of five days a week and doing barn chores.....not so much as a fray.....also, boots, Ariat make some neat looking functional boots:)

Oh gee double post!

BarrelracingArabian 02-14-2013 09:17 PM

To be honest i have all Hollister/ American eagle, i want mote boot cut miss me or cryel girl but cant afford them right now. My Hollisters I have had ober a year wear every day and always ride in them and while I've lost weight and they dont fit as well none have ripped. I only buy them when they are on sale.

Muppetgirl 02-14-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian (Post 1894955)
To be honest i have all Hollister/ American eagle, i want mote boot cut miss me or cryel girl but cant afford them right now. My Hollisters I have had ober a year wear every day and always ride in them and while I've lost weight and they dont fit as well none have ripped. I only buy them when they are on sale.

I love AE jeans, but I don't ride in them......yet;)

smrobs 02-14-2013 09:25 PM

I swear by Wrangler Q-baby jeans. Since they are designed for riding, they have a bit of stretch, and they have the no-gap waistband, so no plumbers crack problems. They also have the flat seams so there is no problem with the seam stabbing you in the crotch; I've dealt with that with cheaper jeans. They are all I have worn for years and I spend all day every day riding and working at the barn. Unfortunately, my older pairs (I've been wearing them for hard work for over 3 years), are starting to get worn on the fronts of the thighs, but I've not had any problems with them wearing out in the crotch.

And, generally speaking, they are on the cheaper end of the spectrum for good jeans. I generally wait until they are on sale, but even regular price, they are only like $50 a pair.

TheRoundPen 02-14-2013 09:30 PM

I ride in the target brand Mossimo jeans all the time. It's the only thing I wear and I haven't had a pair rip on me, and one pair is going on 3yrs now, riding at least a few times a week.

My levis never lasted long at all.

its lbs not miles 02-14-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevreme (Post 1894942)
Since I work and ride at the same barn, and usually ride during my lunch break, I've long since gotten too lazy to change into breeches every time I ride. So I wear the same jeans to work and ride in, and usually to run errands as well. I ride English so I generally tuck my jeans into my half-chaps (or my tall boots, if I'm wearing skinny jeans), or just ride bareback. And yes, I have a cover on my saddle so I won't ruin it :)

The problem I've run into, though, is that all of my jeans are wearing out within a few months. Up until now I've just gone to Target and rifled through the clearance section, picking up whatever is cheap and comfortable. Which is now coming back to bite me in the butt; in the form of all my jeans ripping in and around the crotch area. Now, I'm definitely willing to shell out a good bit of cash for some jeans that will last me longer than 6ish months, but I want to make sure they will actually last and be comfortable before I pay it.

Does anyone here have experience with jeans that you can wear from sun up to sun down, ride, work, and practically live in, and last more than a few months? I've heard Wranglers are good, and I have a pair of those, but they're ridiculously low rise so are not very comfortable for riding (my mom got them for me for my birthday). While we're on the subject; what should I look for in cowboy boots that I can work and ride in?

6 months is amazingly fast, but there can be different factors that impact the wear and tear. I generally expect a pair to last me 3 or more years. As already mentioned you can look for something made with heavier material. Or if you're really ambitious (and don't mind the unusual appearance) you can do something my grandmother did (but only after I wore out the ass in the pants). Sew a large patch of cotton denim in the inside to block the hole. It's amazing how long a pair will last with patching as needed :lol:.
3 of my jeans are the extremely low cost Rustler, 2 are Faded Glory, 1 is Wrangler and 1 is some none brand (it's so old I can't read the faded out patch) made in Mexico. In 6 years I've had two "wear out" around the seat :lol:, but they were each about 3 to 4 years old at the time (one was Levi Strauss and one was Wrangler) and I have some just as old still holding up. In the Summer I sometimes wear pants of a lighter material when the tempertures are in the 90's+, because jeans can be pretty hot.

GamingGrrl 02-14-2013 10:17 PM

Wranglers are fabulous!
I wear the Rock 47 line for riding and for lookin good :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Nevreme 02-14-2013 10:26 PM

Thanks guys! I will definitely check out the AE and Aura jeans, I hadn't heard of those.

Quote:

I ride in the target brand Mossimo jeans all the time. It's the only thing I wear and I haven't had a pair rip on me, and one pair is going on 3yrs now, riding at least a few times a week.
My favorite pair of Mossimos is the only pair that has stayed with me for the past year when everything else wore out, but they're starting to thin and stretch now. I'm really careful putting them on or pulling them up, because my last pair ripped right below the pockets when I was pulling them on.

Quote:

6 months is amazingly fast, but there can be different factors that impact the wear and tear. I generally expect a pair to last me 3 or more years. As already mentioned you can look for something made with heavier material. Or if you're really ambitious (and don't mind the unusual appearance) you can do something my grandmother did (but only after I wore out the ass in the pants). Sew a large patch of cotton denim in the inside to block the hole. It's amazing how long a pair will last with patching as needed :lol:.
Honestly, the one place I can't stand a patch is in the butt. I'll do just about anywhere else on a pair of jeans, but not there.
Yeah, I'm really hard on my jeans. And I don't have a lot of pairs so I tend to wear what I do have three-four days a week. They get mud, manure, ointments, soap, hoof oil, leather oil, dirt, horse hair, paint, and most anything else you can find at the barn rubbed into them on almost a daily basis. For the first few weeks after I get a new pair I try to keep them relatively clean, but once I've fallen in a mud puddle, or had a horse slobber all over me I give up on that ^^

I've just ordered two pairs of Carhartts that were on sale, so we'll see how those work out. I'd like one or two more pairs just so I have some back ups though.