The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Washing wooden brushes? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/washing-wooden-brushes-153512/)

trailhorserider 02-15-2013 12:10 AM

Washing wooden brushes?

Hi all,

I was reading the other thread on sharing brushes and read a lot of you clean your brushes often.

How do you wash or clean a wooden brush without ruining it? I have one old stiff body brush that I LOVE and have had it for probably 15 years. I occasionally rake some hair out but I have never actually washed it. I am afraid any kind of water will ruin the wooden body of the brush.

Is there a way to disinfect it safely?

Luckily I have never had a problem with skin issues transferring between my horses, which is good as I never wash my brushes. :lol: But washing them at least once would be a good idea since some of them are very old.

I don't know why, but quality brushes are hard to find around here, which makes me reluctant to retire any of my old ones. It seems like any newer brushes I buy have cheap plastic bristles which break over time.

loveduffy 02-15-2013 12:26 AM

I have wooden brushes I put them in pail of water with some betadine for half hour them rinse as soon as they start to dry I oil the wood with murphy's oil so far it has worked (were have all the good brushes gone)

Muppetgirl 02-15-2013 12:49 AM

KEY: Turn the brush bristle side DOWN to dry.....therefore the water runs away from the wood.......I would wash in Murphys Oil soap....it's good for the wood and will take care of the bristles:wink:

Muppetgirl 02-15-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveduffy (Post 1895190)
I have wooden brushes I put them in pail of water with some betadine for half hour them rinse as soon as they start to dry I oil the wood with murphy's oil so far it has worked (were have all the good brushes gone)

Do use the Murphy's Oil SOAP or just the oil? I have used the Murphy's Oil soap.....kill two birds with one stone:wink:

trailhorserider 02-15-2013 08:35 PM

Murphy's Oil Soap, great idea! I actually have some and I LOVE the smell. To me it smells like tea. :-)