The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   trailering without dividers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/trailering-without-dividers-153518/)

CPReiners 02-15-2013 01:48 AM

trailering without dividers?

I'm not sure if this has already been covered or not but I thought I'd ask..
I have always used angle haul trailers and the odd time a straight haul 2 horse, but I see alot of people hauling horses in stock trailers completely loose, I have always thought dividers give horses support and helps them balance, is it safe to haul them freely? is it better then using dividers, what are the pros and cons?
Thanks in advance!

COWCHICK77 02-15-2013 04:04 AM

We have almost always hauled our horses in stock trailers either loose or tied and no dividers. A few years back we did buy a 3 horse slant, after using it a couple of times I took the dividers out of it and used it like a stock trailer. Finally we just sold it. I think it is just personal preference.
Posted via Mobile Device

xlionesss 02-15-2013 08:29 AM

From what I've read it is perfectly fine. Never experienced the difference though, sorry!

CPReiners 02-15-2013 11:24 AM

I just bought a yearling who hasn't been halter broke yet, so I wonder if putting them in a stock trailer loose would be the best and safer way to go but not having experience in that I'm a little nervous to try it with a youngster :?

Lonestar22 02-15-2013 11:33 AM

I think the youngster would be fine in a stock trailer. Especially a smaller one or one that has compartments you can shut.

We have a stock trailer that has three compartments and we can haul 6(two in each compartment) or 8-10 if we stick them in there without the compartments.

I've never experienced any problems with our yearlings in it, but they were halter broken.

Golden Horse 02-15-2013 11:40 AM

I've been hauling in a stock for a while, and usually don't tie.I find when left to themselves they will turn around and travel backwards, the find braking forces easier to deal with. Mind you hauling up here in the land of straight roads they don't have many bends to deal with.

I think that it is more important the quality of ride the driver gives them than the trailer set up to be honest.

PaintHorseMares 02-15-2013 11:46 AM

A yearling will be fine untied w/o dividers and that's the way I would do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 02-15-2013 07:51 PM

Last summer I hauled a yearling from eastern ks to colorado without the dividers the whole way. She did fine only kicked once at the beginning, we even had the quarter windows off and she stuck her head out of the back for a little bit before settling into a place near the wind.

smrobs 02-15-2013 08:08 PM

I don't know, the way I see it, I would prefer the horse learn to trailer without leaning or bracing on anything. If they learn to balance on their own, then, if you ever get stuck hauling them without dividers, you won't have a problem. However, I've seen quite a few horses that would fall down in trailers without dividers because they didn't have anything to brace against.

For what it's worth, if I'm just hauling my family horses (generally 3 at a time), I'll usually haul them loose.

However, if there is 4 or more or if there is a strange horse I'm hauling, then they get hauled like this....
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...e/DSCN1980.jpg

COWCHICK77 02-15-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonestar22 (Post 1895617)
I think the youngster would be fine in a stock trailer. Especially a smaller one or one that has compartments you can shut.

We have a stock trailer that has three compartments and we can haul 6(two in each compartment) or 8-10 if we stick them in there without the compartments.

I've never experienced any problems with our yearlings in it, but they were halter broken.

I agree, when I was hauling broodmares back and forth to the vet for AI and vet checks with babies on them I preferred using a stock trailer with cut gates. You can give the mare and foal a "box stall". It worked very well. Like smrobs said, they learn to balance themselves.