The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please critique mostly about the contact i have (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-critique-mostly-about-contact-i-153519/)

OliviaMyee 02-15-2013 04:03 AM

Please critique mostly about the contact i have

Its important Slip is in a good frame for competitions, so i was practising having the softest hands i could. And trying to maintain a balanced forward rhythm most of all. Yea so this is challenging for me, and probs Slip lol but i know im getting better at this because Slip doesn't lean half as much as he used to, and so he is happier and im happier and the owner is happy with how i am riding in this video. This is a video of one of the first times i am realising what having light contact feels like, and im trying to maintain it.
WATCH HD or you will go blind .. nah its not that bad just be able to critique better. CHEERS :D

LostDragonflyWings 02-15-2013 05:19 AM

At the trot, make sure when you post you keep your hands down in the same position and do not let them rise with your body. Also, it may have just been that one transition, but it didn't look very smooth as he rushed/fell into a canter and you were kind of bouncing around.

I posted on your other thread about jumping, btw. Hopefully the tips helped.

OliviaMyee 02-15-2013 06:37 AM

thanks for the critique :) . That was a terrible canter transition because i was just so focused with light contact (having head always down at my hands) , hopefully when my dad films me riding 2 morrow i will have improved cater transitions, because i will be able to have light contact and focus on everything else. Multi tasking ! Still learning how to do it lol

LynnF 02-16-2013 12:33 AM

The biggest thing that stood out to me is that your hands are moving with your body. Your hands and arms should be like a spring so that when your body moves your hands don't. Focus on keeping your hands in the same position no matter what your body is doing.

tinyliny 02-16-2013 04:15 AM

Watch it again with no sound and keep your eye solely on your black gloves. You will see them go up and down in relation to the horse,s wither.

You want them to occupy the same place in the air, relative to the horses body.

More movement in elbow will help. Try resting your hands on the wither and posting.

Clava 02-16-2013 04:24 AM

Agree with others, you need to make your hands independant from your seat. I would also drop your stirrups a hole (so you don't rise so high) and this will help lengthen and move your leg back a fraction which will hopefully develop a deeper seat. Don't lower your hands, carrying them is good, but they do need to bemore still :-)

OliviaMyee 02-16-2013 09:08 AM

Thanks guyyzz :) so how do i let my hands move with the horses movement, but keep them still ? Im confused.

OliviaMyee 02-16-2013 09:09 AM

O so ok i think i might understand now. I don't move them up and down but in a slightly forward motion in sync with the horse ?

Clava 02-16-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OliviaMyee (Post 1896989)
O so ok i think i might understand now. I don't move them up and down but in a slightly forward motion in sync with the horse ?

Yep. The horses head should be still in trot so not the same give and take as in walk. just keepthem as still as possible and a nice light contact (which you have) and they will give enough with the horse's movement.:-)

tinyliny 02-16-2013 02:47 PM

think "move my body, not my hands" 'cause something has to move in order to ride a horse

You know how when you sit the canter your lower body follows the hrose but your upper body is still , same as in walk . REally, same in all riding. your lower body belongs to the horse, so to speak. Same with your hands; they belong to the horse's mouth.

as you advance you will still be following the mouth, but you'll be encourage it to follow YOU more.

So, this independent use of the lower body from upper must also be used with hands (elbows) independent from the upper body. no locking up allowed!