The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   Endurance on a Pregnant Mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/endurance-pregnant-mare-153541/)

BlueSpark 02-15-2013 12:01 PM

Endurance on a Pregnant Mare?

I'm currently in the process of getting my mare in shape for doing a few limited distance 25 mile races. potentially 2-3 this season. she has been ridden all winter, and will be regularly ridden 10-15(the odd ride longer) miles, 3+ times a week. I was hoping to breed her this year, compete on her all summer, then light riding into the winter and then out to pasture when she starts getting large, then back to doing some light trails in the fall, ponying her foal(then 4+ months old).

what do you think?

I know several people who have continued to do very strenuous things with their mares up until 8 months along, including one mare that was winning endurance rides 6 months pregnant.

I wont risk mare or foal. I know mares used to get worked as usual, right up until a couple months before foaling.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 02-15-2013 12:11 PM

If you're mare is in good condition before pregnancy I don't see any reason why she couldn't do a few 25 mile endurance rides; so long as it's not too late in the pregnancy. I'm no endurance expert so maybe I'm wrong but, wild horses will travel 20+ miles per day.

Poplar Ridge Ranch 02-15-2013 10:26 PM

You should be just fine doing this as long as you approach it right, like you have said. If you condition your mare now, competing in the summer won't be a big strain on her, and come fall, wind it down to light riding up until around her 8 month mark. She will even have a better chance at catching when bred because she will be in good condition and will have a good chance of growing a healthy foal. Make sure you feed her appropriately as not only a performance horse but a broodmare too.
Posted via Mobile Device

dbarabians 02-16-2013 01:19 AM

She should have no problems if she is in shape and that might help her with foaling. Keep her in good shape and she will be just fine. Shalom

appyponyboy82 02-25-2013 05:38 PM

you should be fine, taking a mare from pasture condition to the trail like this would be a issue but if this is a routine workout that your mare is used to then she should be OK. just watch for your mare to act out if she should act differently then she may be feeling uncomfortable. watch for tail twitching...alot of mares in foal tend to show uneasiness this way.