The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Irish Draught Bridle (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/irish-draught-bridle-153551/)

tbcrazy 02-15-2013 12:02 PM

Irish Draught Bridle

Hi All! I know Irish Draughts aren't actually considered a heavy draft breed, but I don't know where else to turn for some tack advice! I have a dressage saddle that fits my 17.3 1800# guy, but I'm having a heck of a time finding a bridle/noseband that fits him; he's got a BIG head. He's got a bit of a roman nose, and I keep trying oversize bridles on him to no avail. I've turned Smartpak and Dover upside down, with no luck on finding a great quality bridle with a flash. I prefer black, and again, I want a nice quality one- I don't like cheap leather or nylon, so I don't mind spending a little more for something that will last for the rest of the time I have this guy. Where do you all get your bridles?

DraftyAiresMum 02-15-2013 12:05 PM

If you're careful, you can get nice draft bridles on eBay without breaking the bank. However, first I would measure his head so you know exactly what size you need.
Posted via Mobile Device

tbcrazy 02-15-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1895672)
If you're careful, you can get nice draft bridles on eBay without breaking the bank. However, first I would measure his head so you know exactly what size you need.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've bought two on eBay so far, and they were measured incorrectly :/ thanks for the suggestion though! If someone recommends a brand specifically, eBay will be the first place I check :)

PercheronMom 02-15-2013 12:16 PM

I bought my bridle here: Meader Supply Corporation . My guy has a huge head and the bridle fits him great.

tinyliny 02-15-2013 12:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
tbcrazy

I part lease an Irish Sport horse. His sire is Irish Draught and dam is Thbd. However, he looks full draught and his head is HUGE!!! So, I know how hard it is to find a good fitting bridle. His current bridle is from his owner. I had so much trouble getting it over his ears that I orderd a new browband in a 17" (which was like 50$) and the nose band is barely functional. I can just reach the last hole and since it's near the edge of the leather, it's too tight to bend under the keeper. AND , the parts of the nose band that go up along his cheeks (and over the poll) interfere a little with his very large cheek bones. I will need to have a leatherworker move them to make it more comfy for him.

here's a pic of his head.

Attachment 129724

Attachment 129725

Attachment 129726

(not me in pics)
Durn! that boy is so cute. I just want to hug him!

Oldhorselady 02-15-2013 12:45 PM

I bought my percheron's headstall on Ebay from a dealer that sells tack made by the amish. Her throat latch measures 48" and bit to bit measures 19.5". It is very heavy duty and was very reasonable at maybe $60?

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...psd897c836.jpg

tbcrazy 02-15-2013 12:49 PM

Thanks Oldhorselady and PercheronMom!

@ tinyliny... Yours is a big guy too! They're a bit of an awkward breed- large, but kind of refined, and not very bulky... if that makes sense. Our Belgian is big all around, but this guy has a very long head that isn't super deep, except his nose. I feel your pain with the browband too! It feels like I'm almost better off piecing a bridle together...

MainelyDraft 02-16-2013 04:11 PM

www.drafttack.com
www.mydrafthorse.com