The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Horse swings out going out of second barrel (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/horse-swings-out-going-out-second-153577/)

bhorselover 02-15-2013 04:37 PM

Horse swings out going out of second barrel

my horse swings out going out of second I know its my fault heres a video of a run we made. 2013 01 13 10 57 01 173 - YouTube

Please help and tell me what im doing wrong. Thank you

BarrelRacer23 02-15-2013 04:56 PM

Your not finishing the second barrel. When you come off the 2nd barrel you want to come off close and head in a straight line to the third barrel. Start walking an trotting the pattern, an when your leg gets past the barrel as your coming off of it pick him up and move him over so your headed straight to the third. Its an over exageration but when you go faster hes going to come off slightly wider anyway. You want to make sure your finishing the third as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

bhorselover 02-15-2013 05:04 PM

move him toward the barrel? And i turn the barrel more dont come out so soon?

BarrelRacer23 02-15-2013 05:19 PM

No as your coming off the barrel, when your leg passes the barrel pick him up and side pass him over so he's going in a straight line towards the third, you will fully turn the barrel instead of coming off so soon and getting wide. This video shows a horse working well around all three barrels, but really shows the second. Shesa Red Toronado - YouTube
Posted via Mobile Device

QHriderKE 02-15-2013 05:31 PM

When you go back to slow work, exaggerate finishing your turns coming off of all 3 barrels. Use your leg and push him over so you're heading straight away from the barrel, even cross over that straight line a bit a few times, just exaggerate finishing that turn.

Start watching this video at 0:13 and you see how she was going to leave that barrel crappily like she does almost every other time in that video? I put my leg into her and made her move her lazy butt over to where it should be.

I didn't exaggerate finishing the barrel like I described above, but I'm sure you get my point! :)

bhorselover 02-15-2013 05:50 PM

ok so pick him up and side pass him into the inside when my leg passes the barrel?

QHriderKE 02-15-2013 05:52 PM

Exactly. :)

bhorselover 02-15-2013 05:53 PM

ok i will practice tomorrow I have a race Sunday and I will video it and see what u guys think thank you.

bhorselover 02-15-2013 05:56 PM

I know it is my fault, he is a lazy horse and i just started barrel racing awhile ago on him and he is just taking advantage of me because im not as experienced in barrels.

bhorselover 02-17-2013 09:37 PM

Thanks guys for all ur help I ran an 18.106 this weekend!!!! far great improvement from an 19.1. My second barrel was awesome.