The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What color is she?

8K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  destinywaitsaturdoor 
#1 ·
Hey all!

I'm new to the forum and I'm introducing my pony Precious. She is a welsh cross that I've owned for almost ten years now. Ever since I've owned her, I've never known what color to call her. I've heard a lot of different things, so I'm curious to see what you guys think!

Summer coat:

Summer Coat and wet

Body Clipped

Winter/Fall Coat

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, this is tricky. Id like to say bay sabino. For sure sabino. The base color...Im thinking bay, but maybe chestnut?

Curious to see what others have to say...NDAppy? Chiilaa?

By the way...Shes adorable!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: smrobs
#3 ·
Do you know what she is crossed with? She seems to have some appy characteristics. If not, she looks to be a chestnut with sabino and a flaxen mane and tail. She is adorable no matter what color she is!

Reactions: cowgirl928
#4 ·
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and go out on a limb (dangerous combo ;-) ). I'm gonna say she's chestnut with flaxen, sooty, and sabino. I say sooty because of the "dirty" look to her mane and tail.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
You'll find that only the "foundation bred" appys have the thin, ratty manes and tails people usually associate with appys. The more "modern" appys have such an infusion of stock horse and other blood that they've lost a lot of what people consider the "traditional" appy traits.

That being said, I'm not seeing any appy traits in her, period.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
I'm not a colour expert, I'm just going off of what I have learned from the knowledgable folks here. My first guess was chestnut with sabino, flaxen and sooty. But that's really just a stab in the dark, there are others on here that would know more than me. Whatever her official colour may turn out to be, she is sure pretty.

#9 ·
I would say sabino for sure and would guess, like the others, that her base is chestnut with flaxen. possibly sooty
Gorgeous by the way!

#11 ·
I agree with the consensus, probably chestnut with sooty (though there are some pix that make me really wonder if she might be bay). Sabino pattern definitely, beyond that, I have no idea on pinto pattern.

100% no Appy traits at all. She's a gorgeous little girl, very stout and well balanced.

Also, she's rocking the mohawk!

#17 ·
Okay, looking at the new picture, she's 100% chestnut. No bay at all or else she would have black tips on her ears.

Sooty is just what we call the gene that tends to make certain areas of the coat darker...most generally it's more obvious on the neck and shoulders. It can give them a smoke-stained look on their body or mix darker hairs in with their mane/tail.

Also, she's is not gray. Sabino is notorious for giving a horse a full body roan look.

#18 ·
#23 · (Edited)
That is cool. What causes that is the whiter guard hairs on the outsides of her mane. It is probably caused by the sabino roaning. Where I'm from, that would be called a frosted mane or you could say she had frosting.

Most commonly on regular colored horses, it's seen on duns, but it's also seen on some buckskins...particularly buttermilk buckskins.

#26 ·
I wonder if she could be dominant white instead of sabino. It just has that look to me which makes me wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.