The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Certification - How important? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/certification-how-important-153607/)

Island Horselover 02-15-2013 09:44 PM

Certification - How important?

As mentioned in the title, how important is a certification for you when it comes to horse trainers or riding instructors? Opinions please???

Copperhead 02-15-2013 09:53 PM

Certification ensures the consumer that you have followed necessary steps in becoming a professional and have passed a test of standards to achieve the certificate.

But even though the trainer or instructor is certified, doens't mean they are the best. It just means they took the time and effort into becoming certified to further their career.

They need enough knowledge and skill to be able to pass the test of standards, where as a noncertified instructor/trainer never had their knowledge/skill studied or approved.

There are plenty of very good uncertified instructors/trainers out there. The certified instructors/trainers might have the edge though since they saught to add to their professional careers by becoming certified.

2BigReds 02-15-2013 10:04 PM

I have never looked for certification in a trainer and don't know if I ever will. If their training methods suit me and my horse and if they excel in their discipline are the two things I look for, in that order. I don't think that having or not having some kind of certificate would sway me in either direction, honestly.

PaintHorseMares 02-16-2013 06:53 AM

It certainly doesn't hurt, but around here the horse world communication is by word of mouth. If you want a good trainer/instructor you talk to the long time ranch folks, and they'll tell you the good and bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 02-17-2013 04:19 PM

Personally the certificate would not mean much to me.
I totally agree with 2BigReds.

After high school some kids in my same class went to CO(cant remember the name of the school) for horse training. I didn't and went to work right away, I started out cleaning stalls, but by time they graduated we were all working for the same level of trainers except I didn't have student loans.
When it came to getting a job, or someone sending a horse to me- they wanted to know who I apprenticed under, not see my certificate.

Hidalgo13 02-17-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Certification ensures the consumer that you have followed necessary steps in becoming a professional and have passed a test of standards to achieve the certificate.

But even though the trainer or instructor is certified, doens't mean they are the best. It just means they took the time and effort into becoming certified to further their career.
Completely agree with this. My old instructor was certified to her ears, but was not a good teacher. My current trainer isn't certified (I don't think so anyhow), but she's been riding since she was little and has shown a lot, giving her a lot of experience. She's also very down to earth and is able to transmit her knowledge clearly, so I get along really well with her and feel safe during her lessons (I'm a big scary cat sometimes). :wink: What I care most about is their opinions (like should a horse be corrected when testing or misbehaving), and whether they have the ability and experience needed to teach me how to become a better horse person. I don't care how they got all their knowledge, I just want them to have it. :P

~*~anebel~*~ 02-17-2013 04:57 PM

Most certification programs in NA are a complete joke and I'd actually be less inclined to ride with someone if they thought a piece of paper from a bogus program some how makes them better than someone who has put more time and dedication into their riding.
In Europe, one must be certified, and the programs are rigorous and intense. To be a rider is a profession over there and treated with the same seriousness as any other profession. Those program graduates I'm willing to bet have their ducks in a row.
But some pixie dust program where the biggest part of the certification is if you can plan a lesson or year long training plan is useless and a waste of time and money by the participants and certifiers.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 02-18-2013 11:06 AM

I have ridden with EC certified coaches, some were good, one was totally not helpful to me. The best instructor I have used is not certified under any program. So no, certification is not important to me.
Posted via Mobile Device