The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Sparkles first 3 rides after the winter off (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/sparkles-first-3-rides-after-winter-153636/)

Debbiesgypsy 02-16-2013 05:28 AM

Sparkles first 3 rides after the winter off

So Sparkles has had the winter off. I think the last time I rode her was in November. So this Wednesday since the weather has changed and its getting nice out i decided to get her out and work her. I was very surprized at how well she done. We worked for a few minutes on the lunge line just to let her know it was time to work. She never missed a beat on the line. I then took her to the back pasture and stepped up. she stood still for mounting like a old pro. I then took her to the back of the pasture and it only took a minute to see she needed a little work on her turns. I think she even tried to crow hop once and i may of heard a tail swish. But all in all she was real good for being green broke and having a few months off. I then rode her again Thursday and she did real good. still did not like turning and i could tell my bumping her with my leg was bothering her but we worked through it. Today she was even better and we had a real good ride. she is really giving to the bit with very little pressure. Still has a great stop and will stop with no pressure from the bit with a simple whoa But don't like to stand long before moving out so today we worked on whoa and standing still till asked to move. I think we got most of the kinks out and cant wait for tomorrows ride.

Thanks

Skyseternalangel 02-16-2013 05:05 PM

Lovely to hear :) Sometimes a break is good for them!

loveduffy 02-19-2013 12:29 AM

my boy has had the winter off I hope the weather gets better soon :)

EquineBovine 02-19-2013 10:26 PM

Ahem...photos? :o) Awesome that she's accepting coming back into work!