The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Stirrup hobble strap question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/stirrup-hobble-strap-question-153644/)

Customcanines 02-16-2013 10:33 AM

Stirrup hobble strap question

1 Attachment(s)
OK i guess I'm stupid. I have used stirrup hobbles for years. I put them on with th buckle in the back, but it never seemed to make a difference how I put them on other than that - which way the buckle was facing - toward the front of the horse or the back. I recently started making hand tooled tirrup hobbbles and selling them on e-bay. I've received nothing but good review, although I know I am just learning. Anyway, I got a message last night about a pair of stirrup hobbles that had a picture of a deer on both hobbles.

" you put the strape going back words the deer is up side down.
do it and you will see that the deer is up side down.because you want both strapes going
backwards.the long piece.so we cant use them this way at all.one hobbleshould be going right,one shouls be going left.if you put them on right.and that makes the deer not right.if they were plan it wouldnt matter.but because of the deer thats the problem.know the same (the deer).can you put them on a saddle?."

I put the hobbles on my saddle, and I just didn't see a problem - the buckle is in the back,either way I put it, and the tooled side is correct. IS there a 'right" and 'left " hobble? PLEASE someone, HELP!!!

COWCHICK77 02-16-2013 11:33 AM

50 Attachment(s)
Without seeing the ends of your hobble straps it is hard for me to tell for sure. But I always do my hobble straps so the tongue of the buckle points to the "outside" and the tail goes to the "inside". So if you are painting your images on the straps with tails pointing say to the right, then if you put them on your saddle like described, one would be upside down. Does that make sense?

Customcanines 02-16-2013 11:48 AM

Yes, i guess I just put them on either way because the buckles don't show.. Is there a reason the buckles should be that way?

nvr2many 02-16-2013 11:53 AM

I put them on with the tails going to the back. I feel that they may catch as I move my leg the other way. I really am not sure but that is how I do it. So yes, I believe there is a right and a left.

smrobs 02-16-2013 02:12 PM

LOL, Chick, I do mine the opposite way. I leave the tail pointing toward the outside on all of mine.

Customcanines 02-16-2013 02:18 PM

AGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO confused, LOL

usandpets 02-16-2013 02:27 PM

I think that the excess tab is put towards the horse to make a cleaner look. Also, that would make the tongue of the buckle be away from the horse and less likely to poke or snag any hair.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 02-16-2013 02:38 PM

Can you post pictures of your hobbles?

For what it's worth, this is how I always put mine on. The flat side facing my leg, the buckle on the opposite side, with the tail of the leather facing away from the horse.

I tried to find a pic, but I can't find a good one. I'll try to remember to get one today.

nvr2many 02-16-2013 02:42 PM

I do mine like this...................

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...TGIJh4SN4nwyWA

Customcanines 02-16-2013 03:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I guess it just never bothered me that the buckles were in different directions. I'm not sure it does even now. They can't be seen, and if different people want the stsap ends pointing in different directions, I think it's probably a matter of presonal preference. I will have to make the pair over for the buyer, however, and in the future, I'll make sure there is a 'left' and 'right'. Thanks for the help!! Herer is apicture of a pair of hobbles oin my old saddle - right and left