The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Foxy's Foaling Thread....... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/foxys-foaling-thread-153645/)

Reckyroo 02-16-2013 10:13 AM

Foxy's Foaling Thread.......

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All

I've been meaning to start this a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had the time (and it's a good job I didn;t because Foxy's keeping us all waiting!).
We've had Foxy for a little over 12 months now - she's my eldest sons horse but since helping out, she's now my sweetheart and i've told him she's staying put with me now haha.
This will be her 7th (I think) foal and her first with us (and her last).
Her previous owner said her last 2 foals with him were born at 10pm and within 10 days of her starting to bag up. We're now on day 16 so that theory's blown away!! Although a 10pm foal would be nice.
So here she is - i'll try and keep updating during the day - but as for now, she only seems interested in whatever food we have. Her tail's loose, she looks like she has testacles from behind (her boobies are that full) and seems to be carrying a baby elephant! So i'm thinking anyday now (although as my hisband pointed out, i've been saying that for the last week now)!:oops:

Picture 1 - taken last year - she was originally a racehorse and up to this point, hadn't had a saddle on her for over 6 years - she's perfect to lunge, and ok to ride as long as you don't use too much leg (being a racehorse, we've been told that as jockeys are so small, they're not trained with leg commands) - so that'll be something we'll be working on in time - for now, she'ss be enjoying her time with her foal (whenever it decides to arrive)!

Picture 2 - taken this morning - whilst having her breakfast - she's eating everything in sight!

Picture 3 - the boobies!

DraftyAiresMum 02-16-2013 10:17 AM

She's beautiful! Who's the baby-daddy?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reckyroo 02-16-2013 10:24 AM

Whos' the daddy?

3 Attachment(s)
The daddy is Romeo - he's beautiful and only recently gelded - although he was a perfect gentleman around Foxy - her being the elder of the 2 taught him a few manners! He's almost 3 and is by Bazaars Chief & Cora.
i haven't seen him for about 8 months now, but he was hitting 16h then and hadn't finished growing so i'm expecting this babe to be all legs!

texasgal 02-16-2013 10:26 AM

She looks close .... happy foaling!

kayleeloveslaneandlana 02-16-2013 10:30 AM

Subbing!

Reckyroo 02-16-2013 10:30 AM

We did think things were happening on Thursday night, my husband and youngest son had been to check on her at night - they rushed back saying her waters had broken so we all trouped en-masse to wait for the foal to arrive, only to find her eating and searching our pockets for food when we arrived - she must have just had a really big wee! :lol:

texasgal 02-16-2013 10:56 AM

Sorry if this sounds stupid. Do you know what to look for and when to seek emergency help with foaling?

It can be exciting AND scary!

cmarie 02-16-2013 11:45 AM

She looks pretty close, I hope all goes well and you have a happy healthy foaling.

Reckyroo 02-16-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasgal (Post 1897113)
Sorry if this sounds stupid. Do you know what to look for and when to seek emergency help with foaling?

It can be exciting AND scary!

Hi - Yes - I've watched video after video - read everything I can get my hands on and when the vet came and gave Fox her boosters and health check a few weeks ago, he came with all the info he said I should need - step by step and hour by hour of what should happen when - including their out of hours on-call number should I need it if ANYTHING doesn't go to plan. I'm surprised he didn't charge me for extra time with all the questions I had for him.

I've also spoken to her previous owner who as a breeder had all her foaling history on file - we went through this and hopefully she'll have a health foal with no problems as in the past - she didn't wax up in her last 2 pregnancies so we can't look out for that - and the only "issue" she had was being so excited at having a foal, she constantly cleaned it and they had to hold her so it could feed - but after the first feeding on both foals, she was fine - it seemed the excitement took over for a little while!

As this is the first horse we've had, i'm just going to call the vet out if i think anything's wrong at all - I don't want to risk either Fox or the baby's life by waiting - and I'd rather pay for a wasted vet journey than live with any regrets. The vet will also be coming out the day after the foals born to take blood and do the usual foal checks (whatever they are) to ensure it has Foxy's antibodies.

Our farrier who lives close (and breeds horses) is also on call should we need him. :D

It is exciting, but also very very scary! Quite a few "horsey" people I know advised against getting the vet out either for immunisations or her pre-foal check :? but as I know enough to know this advice isn't the best and I don't know enough to know if she's getting the flu etc, that's one piece of advise I was happy to ignore!

BrieannaKelly 02-16-2013 01:45 PM

Wishing you a happy and healthy foaling!!