The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Quick grooming tips!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/quick-grooming-tips-153674/)

MAG1723 02-16-2013 02:41 PM

Quick grooming tips!!

I have a horse show tomorrow and I need some quick grooming tips to help my horse look wonderful, in one day. :lol: I need tips on how to get him shiny, and his tail wavy. Its a game show (barrels, pole bending, etc. ) but I still want him to look nice. Thanks everyone!:-)

smarties 02-16-2013 08:34 PM

Probably a bit late, but give a good curry with a rubber mit. Get a bucket of hot water and a cloth. Soak the cloth in the hot water, wring out really well and wipe over horse. It is important to wring out the cloth well. Rinse the cloth and repeat until horse is "cleaner."
If your horse is a gray, this method may not come in handy

walkinthewalk 02-16-2013 09:28 PM

Brush him until you need rotator cup surgery, then top that off with the vacuum cleaner:-P

Thrill Ride 02-18-2013 01:54 PM

A few tips we do-
1. Buy a thing of chapstick, and rub it around the muzzle, by the eyes, and ears. This is safe to do and it makes these features POP!
2. You could also use baby oil to make things POP!
3. Baby powder works good for making white pop.
4. Look up how to do a diamond braid, its quick, easy and actually isn't really a braid. Looks really cool.
5. Give your horse a bath, if you can.

MAG1723 02-21-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrill Ride (Post 1900337)
A few tips we do-
1. Buy a thing of chapstick, and rub it around the muzzle, by the eyes, and ears. This is safe to do and it makes these features POP!
2. You could also use baby oil to make things POP!
3. Baby powder works good for making white pop.
4. Look up how to do a diamond braid, its quick, easy and actually isn't really a braid. Looks really cool.
5. Give your horse a bath, if you can.

Is it any special chap stick? Like a certain kind?:D

HorsesAreForever 02-28-2013 01:22 AM

Id assume non-flavored.. or scented lol

This is what I do if I need a quick clean up.
Clip the muzzle, around the coronet band, fetlocks 'feathers', trim up any stray out of place hairs under the face/on legs, Bridle-path.

Even out the end of the horses tail.

A good good groom then with a light brush over with a bit of show sheen[Avoid saddle area] Wipe the face with baby wipes.

Baby powder for those white areas!

Brush out mane/tail with detangler.

Im assuming if your western..you can band?? Its quick and simple.

NaeNae87 02-28-2013 01:35 AM

I would give him a wash (if possible), get stuck into himi with a curry comb and brush, clip him up, plait his tail and pop it in a tail bag (divide it into 3, plait it and then plait the plaits - It makes the tail nice and wavy), chalk or baby powder any socks.

At the show I would brush the baby powder off, apply baby oil or as suggested above - a chap stick to the muzzle and eyes, apply hoof black, unplait the tail and apply some Top Tails to it and finish off with a spritz of World Champion Pepi Spray over the mane, neck, shoulders, chest, hind quarters and tail avoiding where the saddle sits.

6gun Kid 02-28-2013 04:13 AM

also the green rubbing alcohol takes grass and manure stains out of white hair

RunningJumpingHorses 03-01-2013 01:59 AM

Braid his mane and tail (tail regular bread an mane French braid) then put human hair gel or hairspray on it ( I like hair gel better) leave it in for about an hour take it and give it a quick brushing before running then braid it again just so it'll stay curly.

Also if you have a like a duster thing take it and use it on your horse. It works for me and gets my horse shiny!!