The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Me and my mare running barrels! We placed 1st on this run:) (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/me-my-mare-running-barrels-we-153677/)

Kelsie1 02-16-2013 03:09 PM

Me and my mare running barrels! We placed 1st on this run:)

Horsesdontlie 02-16-2013 07:37 PM

Congrats on 1st place. Is she gaited? I always thought it would be hard to run a gaited horse. But have seen quite a few successful ones at local levels. Makes for a different looking run.

I made a run once on a standardbred, I laughed the entire time as it felt so different but she still could get down and turn.

Kelsie1 02-17-2013 01:34 PM

Lol no she's a Quarter horse, ik it's hard to believe she's so big!!!!! Every time i take her to a rodeo people think she's part draft

Horsesdontlie 02-17-2013 01:43 PM

Definitely interesting! I love the guess that some people put on other horses. I've had people swear that my horse is draft, arab, TWH, warmblood, quarter horse...I've always just stuck with a paint mutt...backyard bred for color. In truth he could have about anything.

Your mare is cute. I didn't see draft, but she just reminded me of gaited horses I've seen that have been taught to break their gait to run.

beau159 02-17-2013 06:40 PM

Congrats on winning first place.

However, have you trained this horse yourself like the other horse you were having the tie down question on?

I see SO many things that can be corrected in this run you posted. But I will not post a critique unless you want me to post one. But I see tons of things that can be improved.
Posted via Mobile Device

EmilyJoy 02-17-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsesdontlie (Post 1897736)
Congrats on 1st place. Is she gaited? I always thought it would be hard to run a gaited horse. But have seen quite a few successful ones at local levels. Makes for a different looking run.

I made a run once on a standardbred, I laughed the entire time as it felt so different but she still could get down and turn.

Our standardbred could not only run well but she had such a jack rabbit start that I doubt even my Q horse could beat. :-) I don't know why Standardbreds are so under rated... But that's beside the point!

OP looks like you had a great time!:D

Kelsie1 02-18-2013 11:29 AM

This is my 18 year old mare I trained her my self she was my first horse:) beau I would love any advice that you could give me so we could maybe improve a little!!

beau159 02-18-2013 01:33 PM

Still on my phone, so I'll do my best here.

First barrel wasn't too bad. But the turn was rather choppy and rough looking. Have you had this mare examined by a chiro?

Lose the whip. Period. Your horse looks rather annoyed when you use it and I don't see you getting any extra speed from her.

When you turn a barrel, never look at the barrel itself. Where you look, is where your horse will go, because that's what your body language says. Instead, look at "axis points" around the barrel that you want to get to. Those acid points should be about 3 or 4 feet from the barrel all the way around.

That said, you turned the 2nd barrel way too soon and way too tight. Push her deeper into the pocket, look at your axis points, keep your weight slightly more in your outside leg, and keep your hand low and quiet.

When you leave the second barrel, do NOT drift. You lose so much time doing that. Finish your second barrel turn before you start whipping for the third (but we are going to get rid of that whip, right?). Make a perfectly straight line from barrel to barrel.

Third barrel you turned way too soon which forced your horse to come out of the backside wide and drift horribly. Look at your first axis point, 4 feet from the barrel, to start your pocket and head straight for it. Push her deeper in the turn, and then actually finish the turn before heading for home.

I will post more later (and I'm sure others will too) but that'll get you started.

Now, 99% of what I saw was rider error. However, if you've always ridden your horse incorrectly through the pattern like this, it will take MONTHS to fix. So be patient and consistent.
Posted via Mobile Device

AriatChick772 02-19-2013 12:32 AM

Lol she looks and runs like a walking horse! Even looks like she broke into a running walk in the end! Those gaited horses have the slinkiest turns, like a rubber band! I love playing on them for fun because they sure can wrap a barrel.
Posted via Mobile Device

jumanji321 02-22-2013 01:42 AM

Is she gaited? She looks stiff and if she isn't gaited a chiropractor might not be a bad idea.