The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   i've got a cribber!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/ive-got-cribber-15369/)

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-30-2008 12:29 AM

i've got a cribber!!

in all the years that i have ridden and owned horses i don't think that i've ever had a horse with a cribbing problem up in till now....star has cribbed is way around the run in barn...from one door to another and even out on the rubber water tank i have for them......i broke down today and order a cribbing collar (just hope my barn will stand the time it takes to get here) deside not to go with the weaver collar but with the old fashion metel v one.....just wondering if any one had a good reciept for any type of goop (and i mean it) that will stp him from cribbing.....

kitten_Val 09-30-2008 07:01 AM

I'm not sure collar will help a lot. My neighbor has one on his ottb and he cribs even with the one. That's an ugly habit for sure. :(

I actually read (not sure it's true or not) that the diet mainly of oats somewhat reduces the cribbing. :shock:

iridehorses 09-30-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val
I'm not sure collar will help a lot. My neighbor has one on his ottb and he cribs even with the one. That's an ugly habit for sure. :(

I actually read (not sure it's true or not) that the diet mainly of oats somewhat reduces the cribbing. :shock:

Unfortunately it is true that those collars don't work very well or for very long for the most part.

I've heard the same thing about diet so that should be something you may want to look into. I've also heard that sweetfeed increases the desire.

Cribbing is like a drug to a horse and not only is it addictive (it releases endorphins) it is also contagious. Sooner or latter other horses are liable to pick up the habit.

Last summer I bought a very well trained mare that I brought back to the owners when I discovered that she cribbed. Most horse people will avoid a cribber at all costs and at auctions it is necessary to announce it to prospective bidders.

FoxyRoxy1507 09-30-2008 09:47 AM

My gelding is a cribber and I've always used the V collar for the past 4 yrs and he has never cribbed with it on, it helps if they're pasture horses. And my horse is fed half a scoop of sweet feed twice a day and still no cribbing and he's a bad cribber, he'll even try to crib on the cross ties if the collar is off. So it should help, it's not the end of the world. I knew my horse was a cribber when i bought him and i wouldnt trade him for any horse in the world. There was a really good famous rider, for the life of me cant remember his name, that looked for cribbers. bc most of them seem to have a really good work ethic and drive but that's just my opinion.

My2Geldings 09-30-2008 01:36 PM

I haven't seen a lot of success with collars. I think what it might do is possibly decrease the amount of cribbing he does but not sure if anything else. Another option might be to run electric wire a feet off your main fence to remove everything he might crib on. No fence, means thats one less thing he can do it on. He won't be doing it on electric wire :lol:
The problem with cribbing is the endorphins it releases when they do it, thats one reason why once they start, they keep doing it.

kickshaw 09-30-2008 01:54 PM

old timers recipie:

used motor oil + lots of cayenne pepper

mix together and paint on with paint brush

Ottakee 09-30-2008 07:14 PM

Re: i've got a cribber!!

I dont' have a cribber but a friend does. They started offering free choice minerals for their guy and he stopped cribbing. We got Red Cal from The natural horse vet I think. It would be worth a shot.

Another person I talked to said that ulcers can cause cribbing. We have our horse on herbs from www.silverliningherbs.com for his ulcers and he is doing well. He was not a cribber though.

kitten_Val 10-01-2008 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings
Another option might be to run electric wire a feet off your main fence to remove everything he might crib on.

The true cribber ALWAYS finds what to crib on: bucket, water bucket, stall, etc... :oops:

FGRanch 10-01-2008 10:43 AM

I would try spraying everything other than what he consumes with hot sauce, very hot.

I've also head that if they are fed free choice minerals they will slow down or stop, I can't remember for love or money where I heard that though.

iridehorses 10-01-2008 11:06 AM

This is how the mare I returned got around coating fences and how she could also get around a collar. I took the short video when the seller didn't believe their horse cribbed because they never saw it (forget about the fact they only went out to see her once per month to make sure she was still in the pasture). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtEl33TOFZs