The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-jumping-153694/)

PreciousPony 02-16-2013 05:05 PM

Critique Jumping

Here are some videos of me showing summer 2011. They are the most recent videos I have other than my boring IHSA/hunters videos :)

This was my first time competing at Level 4 (second day of the competition). Don't critique the horse, he's not mine and I know his jumping style is pretty unorthodox :) He's a very big-strided slow moving warmblood. This was our second show together.

This is my 1.05m jumpoff round. This horse is the polar opposite of the last horse haha. Very hot, fast, spicy thoroughbred mare. Don't critique her either, also not my horse!

MyBoyPuck 02-16-2013 08:54 PM

**** girl, you're good! I'm going to remember your hands tomorrow during my jumping clinic. I love that you keep them where they are supposed to be and use your body to adjust the horse's stride to get the distances instead of all that yanking stuff you see at the higher levels. I was really impressed with how effective your seat is especially with the hotter mare. She really wanted a go at some of those fences and you negotiated her down to a good tempo and producing good jumping efforts.

If I had to try to find anything to pick on, I'd say your lower leg contact could stand to be redistributed out of your knees and into your calf. On a few of the fences on Moose, you appear to be pinching just a tad with your knees. I could be, and probably am, completely wrong on that. That's all I got. Hopefully Allison will ring in on this one.

Oxer 02-17-2013 12:21 AM

you do lose your leg a bit, but other than that I think you're a very brave and effective rider. I know we are not to critique the horses.... but i really do like the gray. I prefer his style and his ability much more so than the bay mare.

Paintlover1965 02-17-2013 12:36 AM

I too think your round with the grey warmblood is probably better but the video quality was lesser and choppier than the bay mare's round which was easier to watch. I think you did a good job with the mare and kept her focused. I'm not an expert but I liked watching your videos.

PreciousPony 02-18-2013 02:31 PM

Thanks you guys! I do tend to come up out of my heel, so I definitely need to work on that, especially now that I'm showing IHSA which is all equitation.

Any other tips or advice? I haven't gotten a critique in forever so anything you guys notice is useful!