The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What is so bad about Arabians and Morgans? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-so-bad-about-arabians-morgans-153695/)

ParaIndy 02-16-2013 04:23 PM

What is so bad about Arabians and Morgans?

So, a few days ago my dad was talking to this lady at work and he mentioned that I have horses. The lady seemed very interested and asked what breed. My dad replied, "Oh, she has an Arabian and a Morgan colt." The lady's attitude totally changed and she was like, "UGG, I HATE Morgans and Arabians!" Dad said, "So let me guess, you have Quarter Horses." She answered that yes, she did. Dad kind of steered the conversation away from horses after that.

Anyways, I have never encountered this kind of breed hate before. After all, every horse is an individual and should be thought of as such. And why would she hate Arabians and Morgans? I understand that Arabians have a reputation for being flighty, but not all are like that, and Morgans also are wonderful horses.

DraftyAiresMum 02-16-2013 04:33 PM

Most people have either had a bad experience with a crazy Arab or Morgan, or they know someone who has, or they have heard of someone who has. *rolls eyes* Most people who are like that are incredibly narrow-minded.

Before I met my friend's Arab gelding (not my best friend's gelding, another friend), I thought all Arabs were supposed to be crazy. Then I met Kintari. I swear he's more dead-headed than most quarter horses I've met. If he didn't look so darned Arab, you'd never think he was just from his temperament.

My old BO is an old school cowboy. If it ain't a QH, it ain't worth nothin', is his attitude. He loves my draft cross (I bought Aires from him as a 2yo and he'd had him since he was a weanling) and he won't admit it, but he likes my best friend's Arab gelding (that he gave her), but other than that, he thinks anything but a good stock horse is worthless and he doesn't have a problem saying so.

When people bash you breed of choice, just smile and think about how wonderful your horse is.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 02-16-2013 04:41 PM

Because Arabs are smart, sensitive, and spirited it takes a smart, sensitive and spirited rider. Arabs tend not to suffer fools. Generalization, some are different.
Posted via Mobile Device

HorsesRForever 02-16-2013 04:47 PM

I don't get it as much either about how some people can be so close minded.
Just don't let it bother you. When I first started riding, I never knew about the "Arabian's are demons" reputation, because all the Arabians I knew were angels. I learned to ride on an Arabian and the most beautiful, sweetest horses I knew were Arabians.

But it isn't just horses, I have the same problem with dogs all the time. People just feel like they have to be defensive and stubborn, at times.

I feel the best way to help people get over it is to be unbelievably kind, well educated about your breed and unbelievably patient.

ParaIndy 02-16-2013 04:48 PM

Thanks guys, I guess it just kind of riles me when someone says that they hate my horses when they have never even seen them!

rookie 02-16-2013 04:54 PM

I think its because they have a bad reputation and sometimes they are managed and handled in a way that brings out that worst parts of their sensitivity. Any horse can be managed to the point of being crazy but it seems that the reputation has stuck with arabians. Its become part of breed identity an not part of management identity. I had a lovely arabian. That said, I would be hesitant to purchase one without investigating and thinking really hard. Those handling/management habits can be hard to retrain. Its not the breed its the common tends in handling, ie fed hot, handled hot. Thats not just arabs that thoroughbreds as well in my opinion.

I would just nod and smile when they say negative things about your breed of choice. Everyone has a preference and horse people are opinionated.

lilruffian 02-16-2013 05:27 PM

It's because Arabians are more high energied and often times quite smart, so they can out-think their handlers very easily, which most people do not like. However, when the horse does no cooperate for any reason, people have a tendancy to call it stupid when alot of the times horses that try different methods of getting away with things and cause "trouble" are very smart because they use their heads to solve a problem (or cause one lol).

Northernstar 02-16-2013 05:51 PM

Sounds like she's one of those gals who have to criticise others to make themselves feel superior - I wonder if she'd say the same thing if your dad said, "My daughter has a Draft and a Palamino"..... Probably.

Remali 02-16-2013 06:49 PM

People like that just make me wonder about where their manners went.... she sounds jealous and rude.

I'd like to tell her about all the bad experiences I've had with QHs...

Have your Dad tell the woman that in order to train Arabians and Morgans, you have to be smarter than they are.

Maybe it stems from most people who think they can manhandle Arabs (or Morgans), because Arabs won't take rough or abusive handling. I once knew someone who owned a boarding stable, she was rather new to horses and bought a couple Arabs that had been really mishandled from the previous owner, these Arabs were never even properly trained (the previous owner just got on and galloped them like crazy), so she whined and complained about her new Arabs, then later on she went to some fancy expensive QH farm and bought a professionally trained push-button QH gelding that anyone's grandmother could ride.... after that I never heard the end of it about "crazy Arabs", until one day I told her what I thought, then she finally shut up, ha.

DraftyAiresMum 02-16-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northernstar (Post 1897653)
Sounds like she's one of those gals who have to criticise others to make themselves feel superior - I wonder if she'd say the same thing if your dad said, "My daughter has a Draft and a Palamino"..... Probably.

Hey, now! Don't be hatin' on the drafts! ;-) :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device