The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Horse won't stand up in float? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/horse-wont-stand-up-float-153705/)

krayzelburg 02-16-2013 05:38 PM

Horse won't stand up in float?

Ok so I have this horse and every time we float him he just won't stand up. He leans on the dividing bar and sort of kicks out with his legs like he is slipping or something. The floor of the float is like a rubber material so it has pretty good grip. I'm getting worried that he will hurt himself and last time we floated him, we were on our way back from a rodeo and he actually bent the centre bar that's made out of steel. Once when we loaded him he was standing in the float and when we moved the bar across to secure it in place, he started leaning on it. This sort of annoyed me because it's not like we were moving or anything. But the weird thing is that he never used to do it so i'm starting to wonder if perhaps it's a habit that he picked up. Does anyone have any advice or have experienced anything like this?
Posted via Mobile Device

churumbeque 02-16-2013 08:10 PM

take out the center and see how he stands. Sounds like it would be safer without the center bar that he bends

Saddlebag 02-16-2013 08:19 PM

He might want to travel backwards or on a back facing angle. Mine do.

Muppetgirl 02-16-2013 08:21 PM

Interesting question I have for you......how was this horse started? Was he ever layed down? Or put on the ground and tied?

krayzelburg 02-16-2013 08:22 PM

Ok thanks, i'm just worried that if I take out the dividing bar he will lean against the float wall.
Posted via Mobile Device

krayzelburg 02-16-2013 08:23 PM

No i'm pretty sure he wasn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

churumbeque 02-16-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krayzelburg (Post 1897915)
Ok thanks, i'm just worried that if I take out the dividing bar he will lean against the float wall.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would rather have him lean against something that won't bend. I would just try and see what he does and he may not.

Sherian 02-17-2013 11:18 AM

I knew one older horse who would lay down if you put him in a straight load. He was fine in a slant, or a box. He found it difficult to travel facing forwards so he found himself a solution. Can you try shipping him in a box stall and see what he does? Mine all prefer to travel facing backwards on a slight angle.

Dustbunny 02-17-2013 12:23 PM

This sounds like "scrambling"...lean on the divider and the next step is trying to climb the wall. I have had a couple of horses over the years that did this.
I would move the divider out of the way and give him space. See if that works. He could be clausterphobic and more room may solve the issue.

WildAcreFarms 02-18-2013 03:20 AM

check your trailer REALGOOD . I had a horse that had ridden fine in my 2 horse TB straight load trailer then all of the sudden he started throwing a fit int he trailer. He fell down once and then got himself hooked over the chest bar another time ( both in the same night). I thought "is there a snake in the trailer or whats going on" got in the trailer and sure enough part of the rubber matting on the ramp was coming loose and poking him. i removed the rubber mat on the ramp (which turns into the door) and now hes fine.