The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Making a tail (look?) thicker (NO fake tails) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/making-tail-look-thicker-no-fake-153721/)

JaneyWaney9 02-16-2013 09:02 PM

Making a tail (look?) thicker (NO fake tails)
 
My horse's tail isn't exactly thin, but it could stand to be a bit thicker.
He's an AQHA, so it is standard for people to have the artificial tails. My honest opinion is that I'd be wasting my money. They are expensive, and everyone knows they are fake. What's the point?

Anyway, do you have any ideas to make it look thicker when showing? I don't know if teasing it would be a good idea, though I could do it in discrete sections, I don't know if it would be hard to get it out.

If there are products or feed supplements that work, I'm sorta interested. We don't show til May, so I have a while.

Ideas?

xJumperx 02-16-2013 09:06 PM

I wouldn't tease at all. By the time you had brushed it out later, you will ripped a lot of his tail out, then you have a thinner tail then you started with. I would 'fluff' it. Simply take each strand of tail, seperate it from the others. It's VERY time consuming, but also a very simply proccess, and it makes the tail look really thick, clean, and soft.

waresbear 02-16-2013 09:10 PM

From now til May, nothing is going to make a noticeable difference in the fullness of your horse's tail in the way of products or supplements. Just finger pick it and wrap it and prevent any further breakage.

ApolloRider 02-16-2013 09:14 PM

Baby powder!
Never used it on a horse but I actually use it in my hair when I want it to look thicker... (I hate teasing and it provides the same effect.) I'm willing to bet itd work just the same on tail or mane.
It might make the tail a little dry until you wash it out though.

What you do is put some in your hand and kinda toss it back and forth to evenly coat your hand dump out the excess so you don't tune dark hair white, and work it in at the roots first, and repeat going along the whole tail.
At the very end just kinda fluff and viola. Thick hair. :)

You can also do it in your own hair! It provides the same results as the teasing powders from salons and it doesn't cost 45 dollars.

Edit- just make sure you Don't just clump it in. A black tail would look greyish if you do too much at one time. My hair is dark dark brown and it does not turn my hair any lighter just practice with the correct amount to put in your hand while you are fluffing. :)

HarleyWood 02-16-2013 09:35 PM

if its wavy and you brush it, it will look fuller. my QH has a nice tail and its wavy, it grows twice its size and its fluffy looking.my paint has a straight tail and brushing doenst do much..

Ashsunnyeventer 02-16-2013 10:11 PM

I have a mare with a tiny tail too. I tried wrapping it up with some type of spray (can't remember what I used) and nothing happened. The only thing I have done that seems to work a little bit is not brushing it very often. I only brush it right before a show and using a TON of detangler to prevent pulling hairs out. Here is a picture of her non existant tail: I think some horses will just have thinner hair than others. My mare has a thin mane, too (makes pulling it impossible). I'm interested to see what people suggest.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...49243243_n.jpg

oh vair oh 02-16-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

They are expensive, and everyone knows they are fake. What's the point?
The point is to allow a horse with a thin tail to have a thick tail, lol. That's why we wear them. They have varying sizes, you know. You could get a small tail for cheap and you'd hardly notice it was in. If you are showing AQHA, everyone will know if you are not wearing one, which can sometimes be more obvious than if you were, but I digress...

I would MTG the crap out of it, put it in a braidable tail bag, and feed your horse lots of Omega 3s and Biotin supplements and hope for the best.

JaneyWaney9 02-17-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh vair oh (Post 1898085)
The point is to allow a horse with a thin tail to have a thick tail, lol. That's why we wear them. They have varying sizes, you know. You could get a small tail for cheap and you'd hardly notice it was in.

I suppose if the tail is really thin. I just like the natural look more than what I think a Barbie horse would look like! haha
I thought about getting a smaller tail piece, but again, I don't see the point in my particular case. This is my last full year of showing before I go to college, and I'd never use it again.

AQHA13 02-17-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xJumperx (Post 1897978)
I wouldn't tease at all. By the time you had brushed it out later, you will ripped a lot of his tail out, then you have a thinner tail then you started with. I would 'fluff' it. Simply take each strand of tail, seperate it from the others. It's VERY time consuming, but also a very simply proccess, and it makes the tail look really thick, clean, and soft.

In addition to this suggestion, I like to braid the tail the night before. I separate the tail into three pieces and braid each one with a herringbone braid. After it sets overnight, just undo the braids, brush it and kinda fluff it up. Sometimes this can make it too poofy looking, but if you add a bit of showsheen it'll make it look a little more tame. :)

GoAppendix 02-17-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneyWaney9 (Post 1898267)
I suppose if the tail is really thin. I just like the natural look more than what I think a Barbie horse would look like! haha
I thought about getting a smaller tail piece, but again, I don't see the point in my particular case. This is my last full year of showing before I go to college, and I'd never use it again.

Not to mention it is a horse show, which happens to include looking the part. For AQHA, this includes a fake tail. You can always sell it when you're done.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0