The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Stall guards and doors (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/stall-guards-doors-153776/)

Lexiie 02-17-2013 02:30 PM

Stall guards and doors

2 Attachment(s)
So, now that it's been so windy and chilly, I've been grooming and tacking my mare in her stall.

We have sliding doors with bars. I have a picture of her stall below.
For safety reasons, we don't close the doors all the way, because you have to reach through the bars to unlock the stall. It's annoying to open the door and go get my tack/brushes or whatever. So I made a fake stall guard/bar to put over the opening.

I asked the BO if she would mind me getting a real one to put there for when I want to have her in the stall.

This is while still having the door. I'm thinking they would be attached with those eye hooks (i think that's what they're called) the ones that are a circle and screw into the sides.
Is that dangerous?
Sometimes they're in their stalls when the weather is bad, the flies are horrible, or for other reasons.

I was thinking that if she were to be in the stall, I would just remove the guard.
But that would leave the eye hooks with nothing preventing her from getting really close to them. I worry about a eye injury or something like that.
She doesn't have a halter on in her stall or field, so I'm not worried about that catching on them.
If I left the guard on while she's in the stall, with the door closed, I'm worried about her getting a hoof, or her head stuck between the guard and the door.
It's a little far fetched, but I don't want to do anything that's going to injure her.

What does everyone think about this?

The door slides over to the left, over the area she sticks her head out.

Delfina 02-17-2013 02:53 PM

I don't understand why you need one.

My horse has a fully barred stall except a window on his door. If I am in there with him, I leave the door open enough that I can slip out sideways but he can't leave without expending enough effort to open the door more, that I have plenty of time to stop him. If I am walking away from his stall but going to return shortly, I just slide it closed except for an inch or two so it doesn't latch.

If I have a ton of stuff to be carrying in and out and my arms are full I throw hay in first.... he isn't going to leave food to go for a walk!