The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   What a year it's been.... (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/what-year-its-been-153784/)

azwantapaint 02-17-2013 03:02 PM

What a year it's been....

Gang, first off, I'm sorry i haven't been real active over the past few months.
Let me explain...
Work has been ridiculously busy for me since Hunger Games came out, and it's been climbing hard and fast since. We've pretty much outgrown our facility over the past 6 months, and there's no end in sight.
I've developed a couple of products that are just finishing up the testing phase, and already the word is out that they're better than corn flakes and sliced bread. Thankfully, i will have adequate parts to meet the pre-sales orders, or at least theoretically...
The Boss informed me that I'm now also a Pro Staff member, so I'm expected to compete in at least 6 major tournaments a year, at the state and national levels, to promote our product lines.
Works for me! I just shot the Vegas tournament, and did fairly well in the Freestyle Bowhunter flights class, finishing 129th out of just over 600 shooters.
And, on top of all that, between making time for my family, having to lay the worlds most amazing dog to rest, buying a house, and everything else life brings, sometimes our priorities shift a little closer to our core, until we're able to come back out and play well with others.
On top of that, i haven't had a moment to play with my horse at all in the past 6 months! Than God for a woman that is willing to take the lead on that!

DraftyAiresMum 02-17-2013 03:08 PM

I was wondering where'd you'd run off to!!

I'm gonna be trail riding a lot more this year, so we're gonna have to make time to ride together.

Glad work and life are going well!
Posted via Mobile Device

azwantapaint 02-17-2013 03:21 PM

Yeah, well, like i said, there's no end in sight....
We're closing on the house a week after we get back from Hawaii, then it's moving time.
The instant we're in, it's time for a fence party!
Ten acres is no joke, and i need three pens fast, quick, and in a hurry!
Then, build a round pen, so we can get the babies trained back up.
Once that's completed, it's on to a pole barn.
Thank God i own a portable sawmill, so effectively the lumber is free, at least in theory, right?
Add a garden onto that, and there's no rest for me!
At least until 2018!

Cacowgirl 02-17-2013 04:08 PM

That is a ton of work ahead of you on all fronts! So good to have the work life steady so the rest of the stuff can go forward. Thanks for catching us up-Hope your trip was fun & so sorry about the dog. It always hurts to lose our furry ones.

azwantapaint 02-17-2013 04:43 PM

It is nice to be overwhelmingly busy at work with so many other industries taking one for the team and suffering tremendously in these trying times.
The downside is that, even though I'm hiring, it's so difficult to find people that want to actually work!
My expectation, which is laid out crystal clear at the beginning, is that i expect some very basic things.
1- show up on time. That includes start time, breaks, and lunch.
2- when you're on my time, i expect you to give your very best efforts to the team.
3- your personal issues are your own. Leave them at home please.
4- we will set firm goals and learning curves. I will afford you the best training available. I expect you to learn to the best of your ability. I expect you to ask questions if you don't understand.
5- the customer doesn't care whether you're having a good day or bad one. They expect a quality product in exchange for their hard earned money. Provide it every time, no questions asked, and do it with pride.

My unspoken requirement is that everyone on my team should be 80% as good as i am, at a minimum. That aspect is essential for smooth operations and efficient productivity from my department.

However, with so many people trying to find stable work, i get applications from people who have zero marketable skill sets that are even remotely applicable to the job at hand.
When i interview prospective team members, i leave them alone with a couple of those mind Bender type puzzles, and see what they do with them.
Anyone that figures them out, or makes progress on them, has my immediate attention.
Anyone intimidated by them is asked to leave.

So far, I'm batting 1000 on my hiring practices. Sorting the talent from the wanna be's is a tortuousprocess of itself.
Sorry, had to vent a little....

DraftyAiresMum 02-17-2013 04:50 PM

I'll come work for you!
Posted via Mobile Device

azwantapaint 02-17-2013 04:54 PM

Thought you were selling cars?

DraftyAiresMum 02-17-2013 04:56 PM

Haha. Not anymore. Now I'm washing them...for minimum wage.
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 02-17-2013 05:11 PM

Sounds like a hectic but busy year, congrats! The list of projects when you have a good amount of space never ends. You may as well scratch off that 2018 thing :lol:

azwantapaint 02-18-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1899050)
You may as well scratch off that 2018 thing :lol:

Yeah, well, I'm thinking you're right.
Ten acres is a bit of dirt, and the general plan is a self sufficient homestead type concept.
The well is excellent, there's ample sun and wind for power generation, wood for heat, and eventually plenty of fertilizer for the garden.
I'm sourcing beef cows in short order, and should be able to raise 4-6 without much trouble.
Mmmmmm.....grass fed beef....
Rabbits are part of the agenda as well.....
Mmmmmm.....braised rabbit with red mashed potatoes......
Glad we don't have television, computers, or other whatnot to waste time, with so many potential projects at hand.