The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   What is your favorite Bit for Dressage and why (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/what-your-favorite-bit-dressage-why-153798/)

WildAcreFarms 02-17-2013 05:03 PM

What is your favorite Bit for Dressage and why

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...s/photo-49.jpghttp://s1210.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=2

I'm just starting to learn Dressage. FINALLY FINALLY found a trainer in my area We haul in an hour and a half once a week. ITS our happy time LOL

My question is what is your favorite bit to use for beginning dressage work and why do you like it. I've borrowed a bit from my trainer and am looking to purchase one of my own. My Big guy wears kind of a weird size 5 3/4. the only bits I've even seen in his size are Herm Sprenger (which i ordered in the KK Ultra Aurigan loose ring 16mm) and Stubban.

any thoughts?

Tigo 02-17-2013 07:57 PM

I use a KK Ultra 2-Type on my big gelding. I always thought it was a 6" but the catalogue says it only comes up to a 5 3/4" :lol: . It fits my big boy beautifully. I also have KK Ultra weymouth and bridoon bits for my double and another KK french link snaffle for one of my other horses. I find my horses really like them and are quite responsive to them. My only complaint is the price tag, but, I love them and would definitely recommend them!

WildAcreFarms 02-17-2013 08:05 PM

dressage bits

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigo (Post 1899289)
I use a KK Ultra 2-Type on my big gelding. I always thought it was a 6" but the catalogue says it only comes up to a 5 3/4" :lol: . It fits my big boy beautifully. I also have KK Ultra weymouth and bridoon bits for my double and another KK french link snaffle for one of my other horses. I find my horses really like them and are quite responsive to them. My only complaint is the price tag, but, I love them and would definitely recommend them!

Thanks for the reply TIGO! beautiful horse BTW :)

We used a big O ring double broken snaffle at the trainers ( He went beautifully in that) but didn't know what brand it was as it was an older well used bit. Hes been picky about bits in the past i used a full cheek fat snaffle by stubban and he literally hated it, was always pulling through my hands and sticking his nose out. that was a single jointed and the new one will be double jointed maybe that's the difference?

nikelodeon79 02-17-2013 08:40 PM

My trainer prefers a plain old loose ring single jointed snaffle. I also like double jointed loose ring snaffles.

Try Online shop for Horse Tack, Riding Apparel, Horse Supplies and Equestrian Clothing.. I believe they usually have many sizes of bits. Plus they frequently have 50% off codes online, and free shipping over a certain dollar amount.
Posted via Mobile Device

WildAcreFarms 02-17-2013 08:51 PM

Niklodeon79 thanks for the link that's an awesome site and WAY cheaper than smartpaks LOL

equitate 02-18-2013 08:35 PM

For youngsters, fulmer (or full cheeks) single broken or a loose ring single broken. For horses with a sausage tongue/flat palette perhaps a double broken KK type. For a full bridge a sliding cheek weymouth.

faye 02-25-2013 06:06 AM

My youngster is in a full cheek french link snaffle.
Anything more established and I like to have them in an Egbutt french link.

blue eyed pony 02-25-2013 07:42 AM

My gelding is in a French link eggbutt snaffle. The link doesn't lie flat against his tongue - in actual fact the edge is against his tongue, sitting like a Dr Bristol "should" [it is a french link though, it's just the way it sits in his mouth] - but he prefers it over an oval link for some reason, salivates better and responds more quickly off a lighter aid.

My filly is in a D ring snaffle. Single broken. She doesn't like double jointed bits for some reason, and I'm not a fan of full cheek snaffles because of the safety risks [and forget keepers, she likes to be able to dictate the angle the bit sits at]. I won't use a loose ring on a breaker. The D-ring seems to be the best option. She has a sweet iron D, and a stainless steel D, and while she's still a breaker not just a greenie, she's going nicely in both, though she seems to respond better to the sweet iron.