The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bareback riding trouble! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bareback-riding-trouble-153814/)

BayroanLatte 02-17-2013 08:19 PM

Bareback riding trouble!

When im riding on my mare bareback, shes fine walking but when i want to trot i kicking her to go but shes still walking. Now she is a stubborn horse and gives attitude but she just doesnt care that im kicking her. Idk why she wont. Does anyone have any tips on how to get her to trot or why she may not be trotting.

loosie 02-17-2013 10:51 PM

You can bet that she cares that you're kicking her! She's just learned to grit her teeth & put up with it... perhaps never learned what is meant by the punishment.

Firstly, what does 'stubborn horse & gives attitude' mean exactly? How does she respond to you on the ground? How does she respond when saddled? How does she respond to other experienced horse people? Depending on those answers, I may take her training back to the basics.

It sounds like regardless of the level of her training, you could do with some more. Some lessons with an instructor/trainer or even some good, experienced riders in your area would do wonders, to learn how to teach/ask her to do as you request.

Skyseternalangel 02-18-2013 12:58 AM

Bareback riding is not easy.. if you are tense in any way your horse may not change gaits.

You don't just get a horse to go by kicking it.. that's a really fast way to get them to ignore you.

Thunderspark 02-18-2013 01:23 AM

Welcome to the forum!
My mare was 3yrs. when I got her and for the first 3yrs. I had her I rode her with a bareback pad......I did alot of ground work with her and rode her in the round pen, taught her the squeeze to walk off, kiss to trot and kiss to canter from the trot......probably being a lesson horse she has learnt to ignore kicking, myself I prefer not to kick......