The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique needed on Appaloosa Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-needed-appaloosa-mare-153817/)

dancingstems 02-17-2013 07:26 PM

Critique needed on Appaloosa Mare

Hello...

This is a 15 year old Appaloosa Mare that is 15.3 hh. She has been on the show circuit on and off since she has been 2. She is not currently being shown and I will not be showing her. She will be mostly used for light trail riding and a little arena work. Mostly personal pleasure horse.

I am mostly looking for soundness and a smooth canter/trott.

Any critique is appreciated! Thanks!

Copperhead 02-17-2013 07:39 PM

I'd get a horse that would be a lot cheaper than this animal but has the same level head. It seems like a waste to put money into buying a horse with the training and show experience and then not show it at all. Let this appy go to someone who is going to use her training and get a nice trail mount. Just because the horse is cantering well in an arena doesn't mean it will canter well on the trail.

Personally, I would never buy a horse that doesn't have a moment of suspension. This horse had been taught to hug the ground (as wp teaches) and use minimal movement to get around.

If you want a trail mount and something to do a little arena work, I'd aim my sights on trail horses, not show horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

hemms 02-17-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 1899253)

If you want a trail mount and something to do a little arena work, I'd aim my sights on trail horses, not show horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

THIS. No way would I expect a 4-beat-er to be able to navigate trails well. Source yourself out a horse that hasn't had all of its natural competance and efficiency trained out of it.

I genuinely don't understand the attraction to this kind of movement.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 02-17-2013 07:52 PM

She's pretty, but I don't like the way she moves at all. Her lope is halfway between a lope and a canter and just looks awkward. I don't see that being at all efficient or comfortable on the trail.

As has been said, if you're looking for a trail horse, buy a trail horse. Not a show horse. Don't look at pretty. Look at moving well, sure-footed and not spooky. A problem I've seen with horses that are used mainly (or exclusively) for showing is that they have no idea how to deal with things that happen out on the trail.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glynnis 02-17-2013 08:09 PM

Same as above, due to personal experience. My sister had a mare who was perfect inside a show ring, or any type of ring for that matter and had spent the first 12 or 13 years of her riding career as a show horse until we bought her. The second she stepped outside to go on the trail, she was a bundle of nerves and spooked at everything including lumps of dirt, rocks, trees and was a total klutz! Even after getting more trail experience, she was only OK and luckily, trail wasn't the only thing my sister used her for.

I'd keep looking. While this guy doesn't look terrible IMO, I think you could find something a little more suitable to what you're looking for. Plus, to me, he doesn't look all that comfortable to ride.

Ponies 02-17-2013 08:18 PM

I agree with above. My horse grew up as a show horse, and even at shows he isnt confident and is balk-y at certain things. Out on the trail he isnt too bad, but I dont trust him like I did with my first horse, who was a super trail horse. I also would look for a horse that has been ridden out alone a lot. Rather have problems with more people around than alone, but thats just me. :)

existentialpony 02-17-2013 11:12 PM

In defense of poor WP horses that have the natural movement squished out of them... my horse is a former WP horse and once I put him in a soft bit and let him move out, he turned out to have beautiful movement and is actually fun on the trail (with his occasional off-days... like today... :-x). Nothing like the forehandy, scrunched up arabian I first saw in his videos.

If you are *only* looking for trail, I'd agree with looking for a cheaper, good-minded horse. However, in my case we do occasional local shows, gymkhanas, competitive trail courses... a horse with a good mind and some training (sidepassing, fore/hind yielding, etc) can be versatile!

existentialpony 02-17-2013 11:12 PM

As for this horse... do you have some still images of him? I get the impression from his video that he has a big ol' body on some finely boned legs, which isn't great, but it's hard to tell. I am also not a fan of his movement as shown.

Muppetgirl 02-17-2013 11:18 PM

Pass on that. That movement is 'show pen' four-beating. Believe me, you will get sick of sitting on that pretty fast. It can be trained out.......

tinyliny 02-17-2013 11:26 PM

I agree that a trail horse requires a different set of skills and a different mindset. if you primarily want to do trails, look for one that has experience in trails, unless you are ready, able and willing to build that into a green horse.

that Appy Mare is really a very nice looking horse. I dont' think she is too big for he bones. I actually think she'd make a nice riding hrose. I bet, once retrained, she misght move out well. But, who knows how well she'd adapt to riding out in the open and all. It's a gamble. you might win, you might not.

How much into gambling are you?