The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Dry faster after bathing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/dry-faster-after-bathing-153828/)

winchesterDG 02-17-2013 08:35 PM

Dry faster after bathing?

My horse has a thin coat, but it still takes an hour to dry at the least. I dont want to turn him out because he loves to roll and get himself all dirty again. I dont really have the time to sit around and let him dry. I use a sweat scraper and towel him off after bathing but it still takes forever.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 02-17-2013 08:53 PM

That's about all you can do, there is a blanket that you can put on the horse to speed up drying, I don't have one & never used one, I believe it's fleece or mesh or something like that.

riccil0ve 02-17-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1899394)
That's about all you can do, there is a blanket that you can put on the horse to speed up drying, I don't have one & never used one, I believe it's fleece or mesh or something like that.

You're thinking of a cooler. Works brilliantly. Soaks up the moisture [water from a bath, rain, or sweat from a workout] and pulls it to the top of the blanket, leaving the horse warm and dry.
Posted via Mobile Device

apachiedragon 02-17-2013 08:56 PM

waresbear, is this what you mean?
Turbo-Dry Sheet

RBOlena 02-18-2013 08:26 AM

^^ yes, that is what she means. But I would get one that covers the neck also. Like this one: Dura-Tech® Polar Fleece Contour Cooler in Coolers / Covers at Schneider Saddlery

waresbear 02-18-2013 10:55 AM

Yes! I have seen mesh ones as well. The only time I bathe my horses is before show so I usually band or braid afterwards & by the time I am done, the horse is dry so never had a need for one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Poseidon 02-18-2013 11:15 AM

When it's warm out, I just open the doors of my barn and the wind is usually enough to have my mare dry in a matter of minutes.

However, it's cold now and that would turn her into an ice cube. Do you own a leafblower that you could desensitize your horse to? My friend did that when she decided to give her filly a full bath in December and apparently didin't realize how thick her winter coat was, so she dried her with a leafblower. :lol: