The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
-   Horse Training (/horse-training/)
-   -   Coming when called (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/coming-when-called-153857/)

Horatio 02-18-2013 12:48 AM

Coming when called

So I've been bringing an Arab back into work and he's coming along quite nicely, I think he enjoys the attention. This morning he surprised me by spotting me by the gate of the pasture and coming when I called his name, ears perked, very sweetly (and he wasn't just being curious). Do your horses come up to you, or do you have to trek through muddy/icy pastures? What exactly does it mean?
Just curious :-)

waresbear 02-18-2013 12:51 AM

384 Attachment(s)
My horses come when they are called or whistled for. The only time they ignore me, is if they see the horse trailer being hooked up, they run away if I don`t close the gate to the pasture, the rotters!

DraftyAiresMum 02-18-2013 12:51 AM

Aires will come to me when I call or whistle. It's funny cuz my best friend whistles one way for her Arab gelding and Aires would look up, but not come until I whistled for him (I have a very distinctive, high pitched whistle). Then he'd come running.
Posted via Mobile Device

demonwolfmoon 02-18-2013 01:02 AM

LOL, my filly has too much 'tude to come when called! The best I get is a slow saunter over if she feels like it (SLOWWWW, just so I know she's doing it cuz she wants to. Reminds me of my cats), or she will stand still and make me go get her.

The funny thing is though, that I just found that my pony colt will come if I call his name sweetly...gullible ******* ;)

existentialpony 02-18-2013 01:08 AM

My boy will normally come up if he sees me at his gate (also an Arab!). If not, throwing my arms open and calling him normally gets his attention! I wish I had a good, distinctive whistle...

Thunderspark 02-18-2013 01:18 AM

I have four horses and one boarded here and they usually come when called, very seldom to I have to go get one too far from the gate....

loosie 02-18-2013 01:23 AM

288 Attachment(s)
My horses are my mates, not just playthings or some such, so if they didn't come when called, I wouldn't consider it because they 'have an attitude' or if they did that they were 'gullible' in the least. I'd consider it a problem if my horses didn't & think about what I may be doing wrong.

demonwolfmoon 02-18-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1899784)
My horses are my mates, not just playthings or some such, so if they didn't come when called, I wouldn't consider it because they 'have an attitude' or if they did that they were 'gullible' in the least. I'd consider it a problem if my horses didn't & think about what I may be doing wrong.

Hello, I was joking? *cough* no sense of humor *cough*

hemms 02-18-2013 01:29 AM

My boy actually paws the gate when I hook up the trailer. The younger two come at a brisk walk for some lovin. The third, the old man waits with dignity unless he's grumpy. Then he pulls Ugly Face and stomps off.
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 02-18-2013 01:42 AM

288 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon (Post 1899787)
Hello, I was joking? *cough* no sense of humor *cough*

Oh OK. I hear too much of that type of comment that's dead serious I'm afraid & it's also hard to get across joking sarcasm just in writing - been in trouble myself more than a couple of times from my sarcastic sense of humour! Best make the most of :lol::-P:twisted:'s I reckon!:wink:

Quote:

My boy actually paws the gate when I hook up the trailer.
:lol:Yeah my pony often comes on trail rides & such with us, just because when I hook up the float in their paddock & drop the tailgate, he's in in a flash, waiting for an adventure!