The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Coming when called (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/coming-when-called-153857/)

Horatio 02-18-2013 12:48 AM

Coming when called

So I've been bringing an Arab back into work and he's coming along quite nicely, I think he enjoys the attention. This morning he surprised me by spotting me by the gate of the pasture and coming when I called his name, ears perked, very sweetly (and he wasn't just being curious). Do your horses come up to you, or do you have to trek through muddy/icy pastures? What exactly does it mean?
Just curious :-)

waresbear 02-18-2013 12:51 AM

My horses come when they are called or whistled for. The only time they ignore me, is if they see the horse trailer being hooked up, they run away if I don`t close the gate to the pasture, the rotters!

DraftyAiresMum 02-18-2013 12:51 AM

Aires will come to me when I call or whistle. It's funny cuz my best friend whistles one way for her Arab gelding and Aires would look up, but not come until I whistled for him (I have a very distinctive, high pitched whistle). Then he'd come running.
Posted via Mobile Device

demonwolfmoon 02-18-2013 01:02 AM

LOL, my filly has too much 'tude to come when called! The best I get is a slow saunter over if she feels like it (SLOWWWW, just so I know she's doing it cuz she wants to. Reminds me of my cats), or she will stand still and make me go get her.

The funny thing is though, that I just found that my pony colt will come if I call his name sweetly...gullible ******* ;)

existentialpony 02-18-2013 01:08 AM

My boy will normally come up if he sees me at his gate (also an Arab!). If not, throwing my arms open and calling him normally gets his attention! I wish I had a good, distinctive whistle...

Thunderspark 02-18-2013 01:18 AM

I have four horses and one boarded here and they usually come when called, very seldom to I have to go get one too far from the gate....

loosie 02-18-2013 01:23 AM

My horses are my mates, not just playthings or some such, so if they didn't come when called, I wouldn't consider it because they 'have an attitude' or if they did that they were 'gullible' in the least. I'd consider it a problem if my horses didn't & think about what I may be doing wrong.

demonwolfmoon 02-18-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1899784)
My horses are my mates, not just playthings or some such, so if they didn't come when called, I wouldn't consider it because they 'have an attitude' or if they did that they were 'gullible' in the least. I'd consider it a problem if my horses didn't & think about what I may be doing wrong.

Hello, I was joking? *cough* no sense of humor *cough*

hemms 02-18-2013 01:29 AM

My boy actually paws the gate when I hook up the trailer. The younger two come at a brisk walk for some lovin. The third, the old man waits with dignity unless he's grumpy. Then he pulls Ugly Face and stomps off.
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 02-18-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonwolfmoon (Post 1899787)
Hello, I was joking? *cough* no sense of humor *cough*

Oh OK. I hear too much of that type of comment that's dead serious I'm afraid & it's also hard to get across joking sarcasm just in writing - been in trouble myself more than a couple of times from my sarcastic sense of humour! Best make the most of :lol::-P:twisted:'s I reckon!:wink:

Quote:

My boy actually paws the gate when I hook up the trailer.
:lol:Yeah my pony often comes on trail rides & such with us, just because when I hook up the float in their paddock & drop the tailgate, he's in in a flash, waiting for an adventure!