The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Face highlighter on white face horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/face-highlighter-white-face-horse-153872/)

MakeMeAMemory 02-18-2013 02:20 AM

Face highlighter on white face horse?

4 Attachment(s)
Last season i never put any makeup on my horse because he has alot of white on his face. But i was wondering if it was possible? I put baby powder on his marking to make it brighter but never thought of applying the gel highlighter.

Here are some pictures of his marking. *NOTE: No white goes over his eyes.*

Thanks for the help in advance. (:

Duren 02-18-2013 03:43 AM

I believe there are chalk sticks for faces if you really feel you need one, but his face looks pretty bright to me already. You may want to consider just a clear highlighter for his eyes, muzzle and ears.

Sunscreen and/or a flymask with a nose shield will help with the redness and sunburning of his muzzle, and that should help with the overall appearance.

His face looks great in that last picture btw. Not sure that you really even need to change anything.

JaneyWaney9 02-18-2013 08:09 PM

He looks great! I don't know if you'd want to do this on his face, but often times people with white-legged horses clip the hair close.
You could try cornstarch, I guess people do that. Really any white chalk would work. There's also White 'N Brite, which has purple dye in it that brightens whites. Its VERY purple, so its scary to see as you shampoo, but when it dries, it reflects the light, making your horse blindingly white. Be careful on his face, though!

SILVERADO FACE GLO 8 OZ-Big Dee's Tack & Vet Supply
This stuff is the BEST! You can often find it at supply stores rather than ordering online.
Get clear, though. It works for both white areas and any color. My horse is a solid chestnut, and clear is fine.

waresbear 02-18-2013 08:14 PM

It's generally not recommended to put highlighter on a white face, but who knows, they may have some products now that do work.

JaneyWaney9 02-18-2013 08:27 PM

I think it depends on what highlighter it is. If its like face-glow, you shouldn't unless you put sunscreen on them first. Sometimes even the sunscreen is a decent highlighter!

oh vair oh 02-19-2013 10:26 AM

For my bald faced horse, we just used his pasture sunscreen. Sunscreen still has reflective properties when hit with light or the flash of a camera, but it is not as obvious as face hilighter. Also keeps them safe for outdoor shows.

ryster2000 02-19-2013 05:56 PM

your horse's markingd look very bright already, but there is a company called twinkle that makes a highlighter called white-chrome that is mainly used on the face and head area of the horse. I actually use it to make markings on my horse because she has no markings other than a tiny sliver of black above her coronary band