The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   traveling with a horse cart (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/traveling-horse-cart-153906/)

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 02-18-2013 02:05 PM

traveling with a horse cart

Hey all.

I'm looking into maybe getting a meadowbrook that needs to be re-sanded and re varnished as a fun summer project the only 'problem' is getting it here. I usually, when moving my jerald, I just throw it on top of the suburban and secure it to the rails. Obviously a meadowbrook is a lot larger, heavier, and more delicate than my ol' jerald, LOL. So how do you guys get around with one? I was thinking of a modified cart caddy for the back of my BP trailer. modified to hold the increased weight with maybe angle irons. Before I go ahead trying to figure out how to make it work does anyone here have any tricks or ideas?

michaelvanessa 02-18-2013 07:15 PM

on the road to shows.

hiya how are you and hows it going.
ok ill discribe my horse box i sold it was what we call a luton van if you need pictures i can show you.
i use to put my cart in and the shafts would go on the luton above the cab. imagin a van with a box with a little box on the front extending just above the wind sheildabout 3 foot high.
and the partition was side ways so the pony was on the back and the partition protected the pony from the cart.
also the cart was secured with ratchet straps one across the front of the cart and went round the pigtails were the traces go.
the other was from the front of the van body insidethrough the pigtails were the traces go.
that stoped the cart moveing backwards and fowards.
the 3rd strap came up from the front anchorage point and looped round the shaft and across to the other shaft and wrapped round again and then back to the anchorage point so it stoped the shafts hiting the roof and it was anchord 3 ways.
if you need any more imformation ill be glad to help you and show you pictures.
there was plenty of room for all my tack and sundrys i took with my fridge cooker hay and feed.
and we went camping so we had the pony and my cart governess tent electric fence so the tent was corrald barbque you name it we had it and we camped out with frends and there horses as well and my other pony came in a trailer with another horse so i had both of my ponys with me.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 02-19-2013 12:29 PM

thanks michaelvanessa!

Sounds like quite the rig you had there. I'm pretty jealous of the horse box style trailers that you guys have.

Taffy Clayton 02-19-2013 12:56 PM

MV's rig is mighty fancy!

I put my meadowbrook in the back of the pick up and borrow my Mom's 2 horse bumper pull,
My trailer is a 3 horse slant and the horse and cart might fit, but my trailer doesn't have an escape door in the first stall so I don't want to "trap" my horse in the first stall, In an emergency it would take about 20 min to get to the horse. And Pilgrim takes up two stalls.
Idealy I am looking for a 2 + 1 trailer, or a 4 horse slant, with an escape door in the first stall.
I know several people that a 3 horse slant will work for them, They have a smaller horse and/or cart and an escape door.

I have seen people put brackets on the back of the trailer to put the cart there, but I wouldn't do that with out an emergency exit, lots of people do , but personally I would not. I do think brackets would work if you had an escape door though.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 02-19-2013 04:08 PM

Do you think the brackets would pose as much of an issue if I do have an escape door? I'd like to figure out the logistics of moving this thing around if I needed to. I don't have a pickup but, rather a suburban so a truck bed isn't an option really. Selling my current trailer for larger one is also on the table at this point, LOL.

michaelvanessa 02-19-2013 05:07 PM

travleing

hiya i put a couple of pictures in tricky and quincy of my horsebox.

clippityclop 02-19-2013 05:30 PM

I'm guilty of hauling mine in my 3H LQ slant load with my pony - pony goes into the first stall - it DOES have a door that opens and he can walk right out no problem if we got in a jam. Back tack room collapses, and cart fits inside - shafts go up and hang from chains and dog collars I installed from the roof inside.

Your gal is a big gal - she probably won't fit thru an escape door on an aluminum type trailer - maybe a stock type trailer? Plenty of room for a drafty type up front and a meadowbrook in the back - some of the escape doors on stock trailers are big enough to get heifers out - should be big enough for a stocky horse -

Are the shafts on a meadowbrook easily taken off and put back on? would be an option to put the cart in first and horse in last and shafts on hooks along the inside up high on the ceiling....

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 02-19-2013 05:52 PM

LOL, I wish the shafts came off... They're pretty fixed. The cart is in okay condition it needs quite a bit of work before it's back to it's original glory. Though, I couldn't make it much worse than it is now. It needs a full sanding, stain, and re-varnishing which I'll likely begin hand sanding everything once it gets here. stain and varnish once the warmer summer days are here; though I don't doubt it will take that long at the minimum before it's ready for stain and varnish. LOL. anyways, I've spoken to the owner of it and she's negotiable on the price because it needs a bit of work and has had an accident which one shaft had been broken and needed to be repaired and one wheel might need replacement but she isn't sure she says it just squeeks. Though at the price it's at it's still IMO of course a good deal.

Am I crazy for considering this?

heres the broken shaft that was repaired.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ps61974951.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...psbfce8a74.jpg

Taffy Clayton 02-19-2013 05:55 PM

Have you seen the cart in person? How is the shaft fixed, with what material?

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 02-19-2013 05:57 PM

I have yet to see it in person, I aim to do that later this week. Though I believe from our conversation, it was fixed with a metal pipe.