The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Starting Again - I'm Back :D (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/starting-again-im-back-d-15392/)

TheEquestrianThespian 09-30-2008 05:12 PM

Starting Again - I'm Back :D

Hey [:

Most of you probably don't remember me because I didn't really post much, and when I did it was about my dilemma on selling my horse. Anyway, for those of you who decided to read this, I rode for seven + years before selling my horse. I was too busy, too tired, etc. In reality, he was a little too nuts for me. A green-broke horse and no time does not equal positive results.

However, as my best friend lives at the farm I rode at, I'm there a lot. And I've been roped in to joining their drill team for the past month, so I'm riding more than I thought I would be. In this time I have realized that I can't give riding up. I have practice today and I am shaking with excitement because I just love riding.

One of the boarders has a green-broke four or five year old that I am in love with. She's kind of afraid of everything, and no one rides her much. My friend is asking her owner if I can start exercising her soon. Because I messed up royally with my green horse (well, I didn't really as everyone says, but it was a person failure for me), what's the best way to start the mare, if it ends up happening? I was figuring a lot of groundwork and then the basics. She knows them, and she's a pleasure to ride, but she's so spooky, haha.

Thoughts? Sorry this was crazy long.

*haha, I read this and it makes me sound like I don't know what I'm doing. I think I'm just looking for like, confidence or something? Gah, I ramble.

peace&love

iridehorses 09-30-2008 05:22 PM

Welcome back!

It sounds like you are heading down the same path as before. Is it possible to start with a confidence builder first?

TheEquestrianThespian 09-30-2008 05:29 PM

Hmm, I don't know how to take your response xP

For once thing, I have more time now. And I'm a lot more confident - I'm just kind of lame and self-doubt-y sometimes. And I totally know what I'm doing now. I think I did before too, I just didn't know or want to do it.

I think what I want to know is how to start/ride a horse that isn't mine. I should have worded that better, maybe.

edit* Didn't see the rest of your post. That's kinda what this past month has been. I've ridden several horses all at varying levels of experience, and I feel like I know what I'm doing. Especially doing drill team, because it's so demanding and challenging. Also, the horse I will potentially/hopefully work with is not malicious. My old guy was legitimately an ******* - I love him to pieces and a really good friend of mine owns him now and boards him at the same barn, but he's your typical guy, with a little more spite than I like/am comfortable with.

FGRanch 10-10-2008 11:35 AM

I would give er a shot, but try to work closely with someone who has lots of experience with greenies!