The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Good schedule from birth to backing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/good-schedule-birth-backing-153932/)

Jalter 02-18-2013 04:15 PM

Good schedule from birth to backing?

In your own opinion, what are the ideal times to teach a horse different lessons? Whether it has worked perfect for your foals, or it's the method your trainer uses. Example:

Within the first day: Begin imprinting
Within the first week: Haltering, picking up feet
Within the first month: Leading, trailering, and touching everywhere on it's body

When is it okay to begin lunging? I don't mean making him run hard or for long amounts of time, I mean making him go at a calm walk, teaching him to 'whoa' and 'walk'. When is it okay to do 'real' lunging?

Touching everywhere, tarps, car engines, dogs, and plastic bags are the common things to desensitize a foal to, but what else do you do?

I've always thought that getting a bareback pad with stirrups and cinching it up is a good idea. I do not mean riding him, but just getting him used to things bouncing off of his side, and cinching (I wouldn't cinch it as tight as a saddle would go either). Plus it is lightweight, so it couldn't do any damage to his back. A lot of people seem to hate this idea, but won't give me a good reason why. Good or bad, and why?

oh vair oh 02-18-2013 04:25 PM

You do what you can, when you can. All babies have different personalities, all mature mentally at different rates.

We had one colt you could clip and bath no problem within one day. The filly I have now is taking several months to learn the same thing.

This is a video at 3 months:

This is a video at 4 months:

Then a long break. This is a video at 9 months, with only 1 month of training back on her. Only 4th time longed, 1st time ever asked to lope on the line.

Now she gets another looooong break.

And that doesn't even begin to cover tie-timing, farrier, clipping, bathing, and various other things. I always hoped there would be a "schedule" for my horse, but every time I try to plan ahead, she always changes. Find a nice little natural horsemanship program that works for you and teach the fundamentals of life.

And if you're not going to show, then don't worry about all the "foofy" stuff. Just put a good head on their shoulders and let them be babies.

Thunderspark 02-19-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh vair oh (Post 1900731)
You do what you can, when you can. All babies have different personalities, all mature mentally at different rates.

We had one colt you could clip and bath no problem within one day. The filly I have now is taking several months to learn the same thing.

This is a video at 3 months:

Lily leading training - YouTube

This is a video at 4 months:

You've come a long way baby! - YouTube

Then a long break. This is a video at 9 months, with only 1 month of training back on her. Only 4th time longed, 1st time ever asked to lope on the line.

Lily Progress Report - YouTube

Now she gets another looooong break.

And that doesn't even begin to cover tie-timing, farrier, clipping, bathing, and various other things. I always hoped there would be a "schedule" for my horse, but every time I try to plan ahead, she always changes. Find a nice little natural horsemanship program that works for you and teach the fundamentals of life.

And if you're not going to show, then don't worry about all the "foofy" stuff. Just put a good head on their shoulders and let them be babies.

I basically started my soon to be 4yr. gelding, just started him under saddle at a walk last fall.
He was handled from day one, taught how to yeild the hind quarters, backing, leading all within the first week or so. They were short sessions, their attention isn't the greatest but once they get the idea they are great! He had desensitizing done with him with all kinds of things. From the first week he would walk through the gates and come out into the yard with me LOL his Mom was ok with it and he would go back to nurse.
Basically he was daily handled, tied for his supper/grooming/hooves/etc......he's got great ground manners and now he's ready for the next step, trusts us and is calm about things....