The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Possible Buy, OTTB Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/possible-buy-ottb-mare-153950/)

Iseul 02-18-2013 07:16 PM

Possible Buy, OTTB Mare

Soo..BO decided she won't sell mey lease mare ST because she thinks I'll get bored with her and sell her on (not true, but..oh well). So, I'm going to look at this OTTB mare on saturday, hopefully with Copperhead to add in her opinion.

They think the mare'll do well on barrels, which is my main focus..But, I also want an all arounder and trail/camp horse.
II'll probably be selling in a year or two as either a 4H or CTR horse (what any horse I invest time into will be capable of).

I personally like the looks of her, and she's not sorrel..so no reminiscing of ST (joke), lol.

Here's her ad with pics.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/3625594805.html

I also found out that she's barefoot and has a tattoo off the track (not sure if she has papers or not though..I can get those with the tattoo though, right?).
Posted via Mobile Device

Iseul 02-19-2013 07:53 AM

Anyone have any opinions they can form from the ad? I know the pictures aren't great and I'll take some good ones saturday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 02-19-2013 03:58 PM

Beautiful floaty trot. I think this gal has potential for dressage once her bit evasion is resolved.

Opal 02-19-2013 04:20 PM

I think she'd make an awesome barrel horse/trail-horse. She definitely doesn't work off her haunches enough for dressage though, like the person above said. Her trot wasn't all that impressive to me XD

Iseul 02-19-2013 10:53 PM

I do like her trot..I was thinking hunters as opposed to dressage though, dressage was kind of soured for me.
I'm sure I could manage to get her collected and such for low levels since I need a horse that works off it's hind end for barrels anyway, but I guess dressage just isn't my cup of tea.

Also..in that first picture, does anyone else see absolutely horrible feet..? I can't decide whether or not it's the picture or the hooves themselves, lol.

It's sad to say, but until the bit evasion was mentioned I didn't even realize there was a video of her being ridden..lol. I thought it was just a video of her in the pasture and stopped watching, haha.

Now that I see that though, if I decide on her she'll be restarted in a halter/sidepull/hack, then a snaffle with contact, then neck reining/curb.
Posted via Mobile Device

Copperhead 02-22-2013 08:28 PM

I have to wonder why that guy insisted on riding with both hands at his knees. The head issue can be resolved pretty easily. She canters very up-hill, and lifts her head as though she expects to be popped in the mouth for something.

This could be from past attempts to slow her down since the woman said "See if you could keep her at a trot". Or it could be a nice way of asking the guy to just trot her.

She doesn't look crazy and even though her head was high, her canter wasn't bad. I think she went along pleasantly enough when asked. We'll see how she is tomorrow.

Iseul 02-22-2013 08:59 PM

Will do, I'm very excited.(:
We'll definitely have to drop your stirrups for me though..not sure I want to hop on a horse that hasn't been ridden for awhile with too short stirrups, haha.

I did like her canter aside from her head..but I've fixed it plenty times before, so I'm not too worried about it being much of an issue..I'm hoping she's balanced enough for the indoor though.. xD