The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   fun things to do during lessons (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/fun-things-do-during-lessons-153956/)

luv my horse hinke 02-18-2013 07:50 PM

fun things to do during lessons

i give my sister lessons a few times a week on our mare. she does good but i want to have more activities to do while riding. so do you have any fun games/patterns for your students that they can do in a private lesson?

alexischristina 02-19-2013 03:38 AM

You're a brave one, giving your sister lessons. :wink: I tried that, worked for a couple months, now she's been riding for about two years and she knows SOOOO much more than me. :lol:
What level is your sister at? How does she 'do good'? Walking / trotting / cantering / steering?

luv my horse hinke 02-19-2013 08:49 PM

my sister is only 7. she does walk trot because ritske, our friesian mare is a little to much for her to canter just yet :)
ritske can get a little stubborn some times (not wanting to trot, coming in the middle etc.) so they're working on steering and also my sister's equation.
but she also is quick to pull on her reins.

luv my horse hinke 02-19-2013 08:49 PM

thank you :)

albertaeventer 02-20-2013 11:19 AM

If you've got some pylons or even buckets would work, you can set up all sorts of little obstacle courses to help with control and steering. If you've got access to any poles or ground rails you can also incorporate those as well. You can get her to do all sorts of things, go around the pylons/buckets, weave in and out, trot from pylon to pylon, walk or trot or two point over the pole, etc. The sky is your limit as far as what you can think of! Obstacle courses were a huge hit when I taught lessons:)

luv my horse hinke 02-20-2013 07:58 PM

we do a little bit of jumping, ground poles and we make an L shape with 4 ground poles, that they go in and back out of when theres no snow
we only have 1 cone though so this spring i think were getting more.
thank you!!

alexischristina 02-20-2013 08:10 PM

Woah woah. Jumping before she can handle cantering the horse? While the horse is still refusing to move / coming to the middle occasionally?
Sorry, but that seems like a REALLY bad idea to me, NO jumping until she is good all three gaits on the flat.

Saddlebag 02-21-2013 07:43 PM

An exercise that is fun and help the rider sit correctly is to have her stand in the stirrups. (horse is still). She is to have her heels comfortably down. Now this is easy to do while bent forward with the bum stuck out but the goal is to lift the shoulders and pull the hips forward. Head should be looking straight ahead. When she forms a straight line from shoulder thro hip thro the heel, she then sits down by bending her knees and ankles as tho trying to sit on the pommel. She needs the mental picture. If she lowers herself by keeping her chin up and shoulders back she should land in the deepest part of the seat in the correct position. Get her to practice this until it's easy then she has remain standing while the horse walks. This is usually the fun part. Just make sure she remains nice and straight. Kids get good at this quickly and there's always the trot. That will teach her to flex her ankles and knees to remain upright. Be sure you have your camera handy.

luv my horse hinke 02-21-2013 08:43 PM

ok i probobly shouldnt have said jumping because they only go up to like a half foot cross jump at the highest ritske is pretty calm too

luv my horse hinke 02-21-2013 08:45 PM

saddlebag, we have done this before but just walking around the ring i'll have to have her try that tomarow. :)