The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horsey science fair projects? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horsey-science-fair-projects-15396/)

amightytarzan5 09-30-2008 06:50 PM

Horsey science fair projects?

Hey guys! I haven't been on in a while! Our school science fair is rolling around, and I need some project ideas. I'm either going to do something with horses or with my dog. Any ideas are appreciated! I have a few of my own, but I'd love you guys' input too!

Gingerrrrr 09-30-2008 07:06 PM

do horse see in color?

amightytarzan5 09-30-2008 07:09 PM

That's pretty cool, but how would I experiment that?

Also guys, I'd rather stay away from things like "Which food is better" or "Which flyspray rejects more flies". I'd like to stay on higher level things. Something about training would be cool.

I also have a 3-year-old Beagle that I could do an experiment with. That's my back-up if I can't think of any horse thing.

mell 09-30-2008 08:25 PM

2 years ago i did a project on what colour water buckets horses prefer. you know those big plastic ones? yeah i would mark each bucket in litres on the outside and put each colour (i had 3) in a round yard with a horse for 24 hours, with feed and all of course, but no excersise. Then record the amount the horse drank from each bucket. I did this with about 5 horses, then graphed the results.

just an idea

amightytarzan5 09-30-2008 09:47 PM

That's pretty cool too, but I kinda want something in training. I also don't know if I could leave the horse in the arena for 24 hours. I might be able to put them in the outdoor arena...

Keep 'em coming guys!

claireauriga 10-01-2008 04:59 AM

How about the efficiency of a horse's digestive system? Measure food and water in, poo out, estimate urination and sweat, and see how much of their food is actually absorbed by their body ... I guess you can't really weigh the horse but you could still gather that an awful lot of their food comes out of the other end.

sempre_cantando 10-01-2008 08:44 AM

I'm not sure about almightytarzan, but I know I wouldn't like to do an experiment that involved examining poop lol

claireauriga 10-01-2008 09:22 AM

Yeah, but it's actually a bit more, you know, scientific ^^

We don't do science fairs over here and I appreciate that the kind of experiment required by them is perhaps different to what one would conduct in a lab, but the same principles should apply. At the very least, don't just observe a behavioural trait. Observe it and ask yourself why that trait is present. Otherwise it's just diary-keeping, not something approaching actual science.

Make predictions. Collect data properly. Analyse and evaluate your findings.

amightytarzan5 10-01-2008 03:23 PM

I like these ideas y'all! Do you think that measuring the heart rate of a horse and a pony at the different gaits would be cool? It was just something I came up with after seeing a picture.

claireauriga 10-01-2008 03:45 PM

My questions would be:

- why are you measuring the heart rates? What are you hoping to achieve?
- what would your predictions be?
- what explanations would you have for your prediction, and are you able to draw appropriate conclusions?