The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Anyone ever experience this problem while riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/anyone-ever-experience-problem-while-riding-153960/)

QHWillow 02-18-2013 08:31 PM

Anyone ever experience this problem while riding?

So my mare has this awful habit of throwing her head while riding. I mean not like a tiny throw its a constant head throwing until i finally work it out of her for a bit, and then she will start up again after a while. We have checked all of her tack and there is nothing pinching her or causing discomfort. She is completely sound, no lameness issues ever. We have tried stopping to let her get an inch on her head or leg, and we have tried cleaning her hooves out to see if that was what was bothering her. I have also tried a range of tack, from a different western saddle, and different english saddles and pads in both. She still does it. We've also been trying to pull her head to the outside whenever she throws her head, but she still keeps it up. We also tried working her harder when she did it.
Last thing I tried was changing up the routine from just doing flat work to adding in our barrel patterns or a few jumps. She still throws her head. I do not think its an excitement issue either cause shes a very lazy horse for being only 7.
Any ideas of what anyone has tried? Im desperate now!

Skyseternalangel 02-18-2013 08:41 PM

Have you tried different bits or (if you use a hackmore check for fit) seen an equine dentist lately?

Prinella 02-18-2013 08:43 PM

Sounds like a bit issue to me. Make sure your bit fits and isn't pinching. Some standard snaffled can have a nutcracker action so try a French link.
Make sure your hands are working with her not blocking her
Posted via Mobile Device

QHWillow 02-18-2013 09:28 PM

My mare has been in the same snaffle for about 2 years now, we also tried many different bits before but have gone back to her current snaffle. She is also not due for her teeth to be floated till april.

smrobs 02-18-2013 09:55 PM

It's not uncommon for a horse to begin throwing their head if the contact on the bit is unforgiving or too firm for their training/ability.

QHWillow 02-18-2013 10:13 PM

Would working with split reins be better? I tend to ride with less pressure when I use split reins.

Sharpie 02-18-2013 10:47 PM

What kind of snaffle? Unfortunately 'snaffle' is a lot like 'horse'- it doesn't really say much. How long has this head tossing been going on? How long have you had/been riding her?

Thunderspark 02-20-2013 12:58 AM

Quite a few years ago my mare was throwing her head......someone pointed out to me I was keeping the reins tight, after I started to be more conscious about riding loose reins and the only time she will pull if I am too hard.....I do ride bitless too......

Saddlebag 02-20-2013 01:06 AM

Are you sure you are balanced in the saddle? If you allow one hip to collapse your shoulder on the same side will drop to compensate. When this happens more pressure is exerted on the stirrup on the opposite side. This can cause pain and can result in the head tossing. Your shoulders and hips should appear like this "I" when someone is behind you. If you are unbalanced you will appear more like this ">". If you are right handed it is usually the right side that collapses with the left pushing harder into the stirrup. This can also cause the rider to easily lose the other stirrup.

Sharpie 02-20-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1903372)
Are you sure you are balanced in the saddle? If you allow one hip to collapse your shoulder on the same side will drop to compensate. When this happens more pressure is exerted on the stirrup on the opposite side. This can cause pain and can result in the head tossing. Your shoulders and hips should appear like this "I" when someone is behind you. If you are unbalanced you will appear more like this ">". If you are right handed it is usually the right side that collapses with the left pushing harder into the stirrup. This can also cause the rider to easily lose the other stirrup.

I know this isn't my thread, but I think you just told me how to to fix a problem I've been trying to figure out for months. THANK YOU!