The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Crazy Cantering (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/crazy-cantering-153968/)

MirabellaM 02-18-2013 07:55 PM

Crazy Cantering

Hi! I've been having some troubles when I'm cantering with my gelding. He likes to try and take off with me when we're cantering. I've tried cantering him in small circles at one end of the arena, I have tried not using the crop, I've tried just about everything. Even when I canter him on the lunge line, he bucks and kicks out. Penn hadn't been cantered with his previous owner but he was fine the first few times when I cantered him. Any tips on how to control him?

Thanks!

Muppetgirl 02-18-2013 07:58 PM

Is he going faster than you would like or is he ducking and diving and zig zagging all over?

Skyseternalangel 02-18-2013 07:58 PM

Do you think it has something to do with either his diet or his tack? A change that quickly is bizarre....

I'd check those things first.. see if his saddle fits or his teeth need floating or if he's developed any stiffness that makes it physically impossible, without bucking, to canter.

Then if all those avenues are fine, I would seriously get a trainer to put some rides on him... see if he can handle the cantering.

Does he listen if you canter for only a few short strides?

I would try to get him to QUIT bucking on the line....

Skyseternalangel 02-18-2013 07:59 PM

Also if you don't mind me asking, what is your riding level? Have you ridden lots, are you still learning basic gaits, or are you advanced?

Also do you work/have you worked with a trainer or riding instructor?

MirabellaM 02-18-2013 08:04 PM

Reply to skyseternalangel

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1901190)
Also if you don't mind me asking, what is your riding level? Have you ridden lots, are you still learning basic gaits, or are you advanced?

Also do you work/have you worked with a trainer or riding instructor?

I don't mind, I've been riding for 3-4 years and I take lessons weekly. I'm only working on basic gaits with my current horse because he's very chubby and we're worried about him hurting himself if we do too much too soon. If I'm not riding him, though, I jump small fences and occasionally do barrels if I'm in a western mood. I hope that answers your question...

MirabellaM 02-18-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1901188)
Do you think it has something to do with either his diet or his tack? A change that quickly is bizarre....

I'd check those things first.. see if his saddle fits or his teeth need floating or if he's developed any stiffness that makes it physically impossible, without bucking, to canter.

Then if all those avenues are fine, I would seriously get a trainer to put some rides on him... see if he can handle the cantering.

Does he listen if you canter for only a few short strides?

I would try to get him to QUIT bucking on the line....

His teeth are fine and his tack fits perfectly, so I'm going to have my trainer work with him. Thank you!

MirabellaM 02-18-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1901187)
Is he going faster than you would like or is he ducking and diving and zig zagging all over?

He's zig zagging and trying to go wherever he wants. I control him as much as I can but theres only so much I can do. It's really annoying. He's being very annoying and I'm getting SO frustrated.

Muppetgirl 02-18-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MirabellaM (Post 1901215)
He's zig zagging and trying to go wherever he wants. I control him as much as I can but theres only so much I can do. It's really annoying. He's being very annoying and I'm getting SO frustrated.

I would squeeze him with my legs, raise my hands and widen my hands and reins and force him straight......then once he's straight I'd lower my hands and reward him....as soon as he starts leaning on me or being a dink I'd pick him up again.....let him make the mistake, correct him and give him an opportunity to do what you want, reward him with release and the. Give him the opportunity to do the right thing....if he dives off, pick him up again. I would also work on getting him yielding all body parts, haunches, shoulders etc.....so he's not 'ignoring' you and goofing off;)

waresbear 02-18-2013 08:16 PM

If he is crazy cantering, go back to the trot. When he can transition to the canter smoothly, then work from there. When you have problems in a higher gait, go back to the lesser one and work from there, and don't ignore the transition.

MirabellaM 02-18-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1901228)
I would squeeze him with my legs, raise my hands and widen my hands and reins and force him straight......then once he's straight I'd lower my hands and reward him....as soon as he starts leaning on me or being a dink I'd pick him up again.....let him make the mistake, correct him and give him an opportunity to do what you want, reward him with release and the. Give him the opportunity to do the right thing....if he dives off, pick him up again. I would also work on getting him yielding all body parts, haunches, shoulders etc.....so he's not 'ignoring' you and goofing off;)

Thank you SO much!! I will definitely try that!