The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   mini with bad hoof problems (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mini-bad-hoof-problems-153974/)

JJMARIE 02-18-2013 08:11 PM

mini with bad hoof problems

My aunts mini pony has been limping. She only had him one year. He started limping in his left front a couple months later. We looked at his hooves and saw they were growing uneven. The farrier worked them and he was fine fore awhile. Then it began to get worse. She's had three out and none of them said founder. The last said maybe their rocky land was hurting him so we brought him out to our place today because the land is wet and not rocky like her place. My question is, if it is a bruise why would all hover be tender and show no signs of bruising.
Sorry I can't post any pictures computer doesn't work. I'll try to keep you updated as we learn what's going on. Tomorrow we are going to take a good look at him and try to see what's happening.
Posted via Mobile Device

2SCHorses 02-18-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJMARIE (Post 1901221)
My aunts mini pony has been limping. She only had him one year. He started limping in his left front a couple months later. We looked at his hooves and saw they were growing uneven. The farrier worked them and he was fine fore awhile. Then it began to get worse. She's had three out and none of them said founder. The last said maybe their rocky land was hurting him so we brought him out to our place today because the land is wet and not rocky like her place. My question is, if it is a bruise why would all hover be tender and show no signs of bruising.
Sorry I can't post any pictures computer doesn't work. I'll try to keep you updated as we learn what's going on. Tomorrow we are going to take a good look at him and try to see what's happening.
Posted via Mobile Device

It may be helpful to give the mini's diet. A lot of times nutrition is directly contributed to potential laminitis - he might be eating something that is contributing to his condition. Some horses can have problems with corn, soy and other additives in grain that can trigger laminitis in horses. Minis are prone to gaining excess weight quickly and extra sugar can really impact their system, so it will help to see his diet.

Has he been able to see a vet? Sometimes the vet sees things the farrier doesn't, and vice versa. Always good to have both give a look over.

Other than that it is really hard to decipher without photos - but a look over by a vet wouldn't hurt if the farrier is confused.

Cweaver 02-18-2013 09:18 PM

Due to the little that I know from this thread, I would say laminitis/founder. The fact that your farrier is unsure has me surprised however, and that makes me wonder if I'm wrong (very well could be) as any good farrier would know a laminitic/foundered horse. Change this horses diet ASAP (not to sudden, don't want him to colic!) but at least get him off of grass. And for sure have a vet out to see him. Good luck with this guy, hope everything turns out for the best.

JJMARIE 02-19-2013 11:35 PM

Today we noticed his right front seems to cause him pain. He doesn't always put his weight on it. His right back seems to twist when he walks. He steps done on it normally, but as he puts his weight on it it twist to the left.
So far other then limping he has no systems of founder.
Posted via Mobile Device

2SCHorses 02-20-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJMARIE (Post 1903324)
Today we noticed his right front seems to cause him pain. He doesn't always put his weight on it. His right back seems to twist when he walks. He steps done on it normally, but as he puts his weight on it it twist to the left.
So far other then limping he has no systems of founder.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think it is time to call the vet. If he doesn't already have founder, he WILL if he keeps his weight off his front and loads his other hooves. Horses are TRUE quadrupeds, unlike dogs or cats, and they really need to keep weight distributed.