The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Cleaning Brushes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/cleaning-brushes-153976/)

MirabellaM 02-18-2013 09:15 PM

Cleaning Brushes

Hi! My horses brushes haven't been cleaned in a while and I just brought all of the brushes home to clean. I have a curry comb, hard brush and hoof pick.

Thanks!

wetrain17 02-19-2013 11:47 AM

Ok...Are you asking how to clean brushes? There wasn't a question on your post.

littleredridinghood 02-21-2013 06:06 PM

I have always soaked my brushes and combs in a bucket of water, usually 3 gallons, with 2-3 teaspoons of bleach. Let them soak for an hour or so and then hose them out. If you have a garden spray attachment on your hose use the jet stream setting. It really gets the hair and dirt out of the hard and soft brushes.

HorseCrazyTeen 02-22-2013 10:30 AM

^^^ Ditto, but if you have wooden handled brushes than try not to get the handles too wet. I fill my bathtub with a couple inches of water, and place the brushes brush-side down, along with some bleach and Listerine. After a while of soaking I rinse and scrub them, and then put them in front of a fan brush-side up to dry.

To keep the main dirt and dust off for a longer amount of time I just scrape them against the stall bars every now and then every time I groom.

loveduffy 02-22-2013 11:02 AM

You got good information from the others so I will say welcome to the forum :)

bluehorse68 02-22-2013 01:02 PM

I use the brush end of my hoof pick to clean my curry combs and mane/tail brush. Gets the hoof pick clean too!

walkinthewalk 02-23-2013 10:55 AM

If your hands can't handle clorox and you don't want to fuss with rubber gloves, hot water and Dawn dish soap also works really well:D

Novalsan is also great but expensive.

littleredridinghood 02-25-2013 01:08 PM

Yes, dawn dish soap works well too. Just don't use too much or it can be a pain to rinse out