The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Rhythm beads (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/rhythm-beads-153989/)

roseann 02-18-2013 09:28 PM

Rhythm beads

1 Attachment(s)
How many of you use rhythm beads on your horses. I have never ridden a gaited horse and I have just purchased a Missouri Foxtrotter mare. I thought these might help me out.
I also really love this halter/bridle combo and wondered if it would irritate my mare since she will be bobbing her head. I sure would not want beads banging on my forehead and nose. But it might also work like the rhythm beads as well.
I have ridden her at a flat walk but not in gait yet, she came pretty spoiled and we are working on that on the ground first. We have not even gotten her up to a gait while lungeing yet either. I do have a professional trainer, but she has not worked with gaited horses. Right now the priority is respect first of course.

Guilherme 02-19-2013 09:00 AM

Never used "rhythm beads."

I've used "sleigh bells" in a Christmas parade. I recommend you try them out on your horse in a "controlled environment" first! :wink:

When I carry a lot of gear there is always some "gear noise" that will become rhythmic during movement.

The question not asked so far is "do rhythm beads make a difference in gait?" Based upon my experience with bells and equipment I'd say "no." They may make a pleasant sound for the human but my horses gait the same with or without bells and gear.

As with all things, YMMV. :-)

G.

KellySearson 02-19-2013 09:29 AM

I have a set of rhythm beads that were given to me, but I have never used them for anything. I cannot imagine how annoyed that horse would get with all those beads bouncing off his head. I would not use any on the bridle/halter...

Guilherme 02-19-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellySearson (Post 1901959)
I have a set of rhythm beads that were given to me, but I have never used them for anything. I cannot imagine how annoyed that horse would get with all those beads bouncing off his head. I would not use any on the bridle/halter...

The horse might perceive them as an attack by a swarm of particularly persistent flies. Something else to try in a "controlled environment," first! :lol:

G.

G8tdh0rse 02-20-2013 10:08 PM

Rhythm beads or not, I love that set and think it is gorgeous, roseann. Personally I don't think they do a thing for the horses gait. some people like the pleasant tinkle and some find it an irritating noise. It is like wind chimes...some like some don't.

Copperhead 02-20-2013 10:31 PM

I heard the idea of rhythm beads is so you and your horse can listen to an established rhythm. The horse finds comfort in the steady sound, and you can easily regain a proper rhythm if something would happen to knock you out of it. Since you know what the proper rhythm "sounds" like for your horse and everything.

Theres also a theory that the horse will focus more on the jingle than they will on other sounds, so it might not spook as often.

A friend made my last horse a set of rhythm beads and they hung on my wall for a couple years. I never used them though I wanted to since he was the nervous type and its supposed to be a soothing sound.

I don't think I'd use them as a training advice. If I'm ever in a parade, they'd be fun to have.

WSArabians 02-20-2013 10:31 PM

Okay, wait... Rythm beads?
Are they supposed to help with a gait or should I buy them for my mommy-to-be Rythm?
LOL

WSArabians 02-20-2013 10:51 PM

Okay, wait... Rythm beads?
Are they supposed to help with a gait or should I buy them for my mommy-to-be Rythm?
LOL

KellySearson 02-21-2013 08:13 AM

I know my niece loved her set when she was learning to post. It worked like a metronome for her. But that set was around the neck of the horse, not bopping him in the face. Yes, this set is very pretty, but I don't think it is fair to expect the horse to tolerate all that movement, noise, and impact.

Cacowgirl 02-21-2013 11:44 AM

My rythm beads went around the neck. I used them more as jewelry than for gait rythm. But w/horse sweat they rusted quite quickly.