The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   New Rescue (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/new-rescue-154015/)

Wheatermay 02-19-2013 06:51 AM

New Rescue

2 Attachment(s)
So I picked up a rescue last week. She is 15yrs old about 14.1 hands. The first picture is what was advertised. A picture from the summer. The second picture is what I actually brought home. I hated to ride a horse so skinny, but I couldnt save her unless she was broken for kids. Besides not standing still straight off the bat, she rode around without objection in only a lead rope and halter. She did want to drop her head and eat, but I cant blame her! And what a perfect lady she was. I loaded her straight on the trailer and brought her home. My mother in law went half on her and we didnt have to pay much. Not even half of what they had originally asked for. So we brought her home with us where she has access to grass (not spring yet, but there is grass, even though it doesnt have much nutrition wise), grain,and 24/7 access to hay! It's been a little over a week, but she has already gained 50lbs! YAY! I wormed her when she got off the trailer, but her teeth were in good shape. She had a farrier appt and my farrier said it was nothing bad, just poor maintenance. She was left in a field and forgotten. She has so much to give! I dont get it! But I will update as she progresses more! And after she isnt so bony, I'm going to start exercising her to build some muscle.

SouthernTrails 02-19-2013 06:56 AM

"My mother in law went half on her and we didnt have to pay much. Not even half of what they had originally asked for."

Bad enough someone lets a Horse get that bad, but charges you money to save her? Arghhh.....

Glad you were able to help, she sounds like a good Horse

Wheatermay 02-19-2013 07:14 AM

Yea, lol... But they saw nothing wrong with her. I flat out said she is skinny! But I was a little worried they would sell her if I insulted them, so I played nice. If she didnt end up being what I was looking for there was going to ba a phone call made if you know what I mean. The summer picture she looks a bit wormy, ribby, and her feet are overgrown. She may be a ribby horse, I dont know, but we'll find out. There is no way she will be underweight living here. If they the horses here are not rode they turn into chubbers, lol....

franknbeans 02-19-2013 07:21 AM

Hopefully her personality won't change when she gets back her strength.......good on you for buying her......

Wheatermay 02-19-2013 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's her new feet though! I was so happy to get this done! Couldnt get a hold of my farrier for three days! So she had to wait 5 days before she got them fixed.

Wheatermay 02-19-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 1901856)
Hopefully her personality won't change when she gets back her strength.......good on you for buying her......

Well yea, we did consider that, but I dont think she will. IF she does become too hyperactive and scares the kids (ages 6-11), I know know a couple young girls who could adopt her for barrels! I thought she was worth that risk though. :wink:

That would be after me spending all summer trying to train her to no avail though. I dont give up easily, lol.... I broke my very first horse ever, then my second, and now this summer I'm breaking a miniature, lol.... And by breaking a miniature, I mean to pull a cart, haha... I wont be riding it! Well I will ride the cart, but not the mini, hehe.....

Cacowgirl 02-19-2013 07:50 AM

Good for you for getting this horse back to a good life. Hopefully she makes a full recovery & rewards you for the helping hand.

Wheatermay 03-18-2013 01:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok guys I thought I'd give an update to our rescue girl. Please forgive the mud. It's just wet here in WV, and mud is everywhere! But the horses CAN get out of it! It's just muddiest in the pics bc they r taken in the barn lot where all the foot traffic is, so the mud is worse there! So anyway. I think my original post was from Feb 19th and the last pic I had posted was from a week prior. SO here is one from Feb 27th (about two weeks later).

Wheatermay 03-18-2013 01:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And this one was on a drier day (our mud is drying up!). This was taken on March 10th! Also wanted to add that SHE STILL IS A SWEETHEART! She isnt very friendly or patient with the other horses, but she isnt aggressive just testy, AND she is a perfect kid horse! My neice who is ten rode her down the rode (of course I was present on my mare) and I had taken her for little rides and the kids rode her in the yard until last week. She stops on a dime! She's just a dream! Absolutely happy with her! I wish I had videos! But it ALMOST doesnt look like the kids even have to give her much rein cues, and she'll turn! And the kids are so comfortable with her! She's just a gift from God! Anyway! We still have a ways to go, but she's doing SOOO good! Cant wait for the mud to dry, all that hair to fall off and the nice green rich grass comes in!

Cacowgirl 03-18-2013 09:53 AM

She's looking much better-hope that mud dries up soon.