The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   train horse to trot and canter on command (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/train-horse-trot-canter-command-154034/)

diadem 02-19-2013 11:57 AM

train horse to trot and canter on command

hi all, how would i go about getting a horse to canter when asked,instead of just going into a faster trot,and to only trot when asked thanks in advance

Opal 02-19-2013 01:55 PM

Do you mind explaining more? Do you mean if he's being ridden or while you're lunging him? Either way, I would go back to some ground work and start from their. Lunging your horse is a good way to teach him to be responsive to voice commands, and gives you enough control to reinforce what you're asking with a lunge whip. After you've gotten him walking, trotting and cantering both in both upward and downward transitions then I would go back to asking him while you're riding him. Make sure that he's collected and to half-halt before any transition. That might also be the reason he's just trotting faster as opposed to cantering.

Best Wishes!

Joe4d 02-19-2013 01:57 PM

Or you can just yell YAH MULE !!!!!!!!!!! and smack him on the behind with the reins.

waresbear 02-19-2013 02:41 PM

Those are some questions that can take up hours & hours of explanation, even then you would be very unlikely to take what you read here and apply it and think it will work. The easiest way is to take some lessons, hands on instruction will help you correct your position, cues and timing to teach your horse. Unfortunately do it yourself riding is not that successful.
Posted via Mobile Device

bbsmfg3 02-19-2013 03:01 PM

Yes, it could take pages to explain in detail.

Very, very briefly. Do it in a round pen at liberty. Start with the walk. Walk to a body language and verbal command simultaneously, then drop the body language. Very important, always use the exact same verbal que. It is not as much, what you say, as it is, how you say it,ie, the walk could be "run" in a soft easy voice. Get the point. I'd suggest something other than "walk" for the walk. The w is a hard one to express well. I used "easy".

Then the trot, and finally the canter.

Before you try it undersaddle, get them to comeback down from a canter to a trot and then the walk. Then from canter to walk, then walk to canter, etc. Undersaddle, use the same bit, saddle, you used at liberty in the round pen. DO NOT, use the reins at all, that will confuse them. Be as still and as balanced as physically possible while in the saddle. After you get them responding correctly, to the verbal cue, you can start teaching seat cues for the gaits.

The trick is to never, ever let them do it wrong under saddle. One missed que can undo months of work.