The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Buckskin or Dun? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/buckskin-dun-154040/)

ButtInTheDirt 02-19-2013 12:39 PM

Buckskin or Dun?

7 Attachment(s)
Looking at my fresh new filly it perplexes me that I cannot figure out her color. But before I can really rule out her being a red dun, I have to rule out the possibility of her sire being a dun. I have heard him referred to as both, and registration papers say he's a buckskin. My filly's sire, MCH Buddy, has one 'buckskin' parent, and one 'grey' parent. (Knowing these are from lines that carry some Lp, 'grey' could very well be appy coloring doing its duty.) My filly's dam, Tenakee, is chestnut. She does have counter shading on her back, but I have no suspicion of her being the dun in this family.

So anyone who has a good eye, I would appreciate any advice on what these colors are that I am seeing. I will post a few pictures of the sire, MCH Buddy, then my filly, Takala, and a few of Takala's paternal half-siblings.

I grouped the pictures in 2s. First two are Buddy, then Takala, then very-dun-looking half-brother Lucky, then a full brother to Takala.

SunnyMeadeFarm 02-19-2013 12:59 PM

Seeing the sire I would say hes buckskin, but I see the offspring and they all look very dun, and in looking at the sire again, I see the leg marking (correct me anyone if I am wrong) on buckskins they tend to be more full legged instead of staying around the joints like his does, but, like I said, I could be mistaken on that one.
I would say there is a high possibility he is Dun or Dunskin.

ButtInTheDirt 02-19-2013 01:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, apparently I can't count and only put a picture of Takala's booty. ;) Here are more pictures to see her colors. First one is a sucky picture but in very good light, and then I attached a few more. She is a little over two weeks old.

texasgal 02-19-2013 01:04 PM

^^ *cuteness*

Peppy Barrel Racing 02-19-2013 04:38 PM

I see dun in the sire, I can't tell if he has a dorsal but his color looks dunny and it looks like he has leg bars as well. And if I think the right picture is takala's booty I'd say she looks dun to me too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Critter sitter 02-19-2013 04:43 PM

just have to say CUTE!!! and also I love that name takala i had a dog named Tokayla

Reno Bay 02-19-2013 06:03 PM

I think I've read elsewhere on this forum that dun dorsals tend to be "crisp" in their outlines while countershading would be a little more fading into the coat color? If that's actually true and helpful...

Tryst 02-20-2013 03:51 PM

I actually think the sire looks bay dun, not buckskin. And I think Takala is a red dun.

Roperchick 02-20-2013 03:56 PM

Mt personal vote is Sun. But I am far from a color expert...I'm still trying to learn lol

Opal 02-20-2013 03:59 PM

She has a dorsal stripe, so she's definitely a dun.