The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Am I wrong in thinking this is dangerous? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/am-i-wrong-thinking-dangerous-154057/)

itsjustme 02-19-2013 03:36 PM

Am I wrong in thinking this is dangerous?

I was at a tack shop pricing saddles, and the owner was talking with someone about thrush. He was advising the horse owner to inject the hoof with formaldehyde. He said a farrier had shown him about it. He swore that it immediately healed the thrush, that thrush would never ever come back, and the hoof would be so healthy and also so hard, that you would never need to put shoes on your horse. It could ride on any surface and never need shoes.

Uhhhh, to me that sounds dangerous. I don't know about the claims of what all it will do for the horse's hoof, but isn't formaldehyde unsafe to be injecting into the sole of a horse's hoof? For good gosh, that is used for embalming bodies! :shock:

Duren 02-19-2013 03:52 PM

Were they good'ol boys?

With that said, I dont really know much about in the inner workings of all things hoof so I just did a little internet research. I did not know that formalin was commonly used as a disinfectant, is sometimes in vaccines, and has been used to treat recurrent UTIs. *Gotta love Wikipedia*

BUT, I still wouldnt inject it into a hoof!

princessfluffybritches 02-19-2013 08:00 PM

It's poison, and he should be keeping his trap shut.

Saddlebag 02-19-2013 08:07 PM

This is an excerpt from an article on thrush. "Never use Formaldehyde to treat thrush. It will harden the top layers of cellular tissue, leaving the underlying tissue soft. This is a bad situation as the hardened tissue will break up and crack and generally become de-structured. Formaldehyde is a good theoretical agent to use against the organisms causing thrush, but the reaction with the tissue of the frog makes it totally unsuitable and may well be contributing to the split

walkinthewalk 02-20-2013 10:57 AM

Maybe someone in the show world can help me remember the incident of one, maybe a couple, horses that were murdered years ago by injecting what I THINK was formaldehyde into the fetlock joints?

My memory is fuzzy on it but I think they were Saddlebreds and someone who didn't like the owner of the horses had them injected? I am thinking it was in the late 80's early 90's:?

I could be way off base on what was used and the breed:?

I am pretty sure my friend that showed Warmbloods at the time, showed me the article in Horseman's Chronicle but again, I could be wrong.

Anyway, I think that's one time I would have opened my mouth for the entire store to hear me. Where's that boarding barn cartoon video where the BO says in her best monotone voice "you are an idiot". I hope the customer doesn't take that moron's word as Gospel, only to possibly end up witha dead horse :-(

NBEventer 02-20-2013 11:05 AM

Umm... not something I have ever heard before. I may be crazy but it doesn't sound like the best idea in the world.

I have used bleach mixed with a bit of water, but I didn't inject it. I just poured it in around the frog. Cleared the thrush within a couple days.

Speed Racer 02-20-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinthewalk (Post 1903697)
Maybe someone in the show world can help me remember the incident of one, maybe a couple, horses that were murdered years ago by injecting what I THINK was formaldehyde into the fetlock joints?

You're thinking of Wild Eyed & Wicked, a champion Saddlebred. There were several other horses who were injected and died as well, but he was the most famous.

It wasn't formaldehyde, it was some type of caustic poison that caused the tissues in the legs to degenerate.

walkinthewalk 02-20-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1903716)
You're thinking of Wild Eyed & Wicked, a champion Saddlebred. There were several other horses who were injected and died as well, but he was the most famous.

It wasn't formaldehyde, it was some type of caustic poison that caused the tissues in the legs to degenerate.

Thank you very much for clearing that up:D:D

I could only vaguely remember the horrors. First because I couldn't believe people would do something like that.

Second I tried to block the details out<--- see what that got me, the opportunity to give misinformation a few decades down the road. I think you're sig "you can't handle the truth" applies to me, in this instance.

I'm glad you posted:D

trailhorserider 02-20-2013 01:05 PM

I *think* Durasole, which is a sole hardener, has formaldehyde in it.....among other things like iodine and genetian sp? violet.

So I could conceive, in a home-remedy sort of way, of someone "injecting" the outer portion of the hoof (like the frog crevices and such) with something along those lines. Not that it would be a good idea.....I really have no idea. But I could see where the thinking comes from.

I actually have wondered myself, if the long-term use of Durasole is okay for the horse......to use in a thrush-preventative sort of way? I tried it out as a sole-hardener, and it definitely works, but I don't need it in that fashion anymore. But, it works wonders for opening up the central crevice of the frog and helping it dry out. My mare actually has really healthy, normal looking frogs now (before I could never get rid of the central crevice). So I really love it as a thrush killer.....it works much better than Koppertox. It actually dries out the problem area and lets it get air.

So anyway, I have heard of formaldehyde (formalyne ?) being used on hooves. Can't comment on how safe it is for long term use, I have been wondering that myself. But I believe it is an ingredient in sole hardeners.

princessfluffybritches 02-20-2013 08:25 PM

Yup, the f-stuff is in a lot of hoof hardening or bug killing potions (did I say that?). But it's not injected. And it's nice to rotate those things, since bugs can become resistant to them.