The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Temperamental POA mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/temperamental-poa-mare-154058/)

lococheval 02-19-2013 02:44 PM

Temperamental POA mare

First I will give a bit of background on my POA mare. She was purchased 3 yrs ago from a trader where she had been used as a carousel horse. She came with little "proper" training and became a project for my then 10 yr old daughter and I. She has since become a phenomenal jumper and has excelled as an all around pony in the show arena.
However, since day 1 she has had an attitude about much that we ask of her. Whether it was kicking out when teaching her to move her hip or bucking when leaving the group for a jumping course.
We've done all the normal things to try to help her with these problems. We've had a saddle custom fit for her, chiropractic work, dental work and she was just checked physically by a vet. Nothing seems to be making a difference. We have her on Tribute calm and easy. She is pastured 24/7.
Some days she is great but other days she will buck if you ask her for a collected lope. She may try rearing if you ask her to go. Mind you my daughter rides her in a rubber snaffle.
Our vet wants to bring her in an ultra sound her uterus. I have spent so much money on everything else with no success that I am afraid to throw money at one more thing. Any suggestions?

waresbear 02-19-2013 02:48 PM

Listen to your vet, some mares have ovary problems and the like. This might be a solution to her behavior. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Cherie 02-19-2013 08:36 PM

Have you determined if her good days and bad days coincide with her heat cycles? If so, then it is probably hormonal and could very well be her reproductive tract. Make sure both ovaries and her uterus are checked and, if possible, do the exam when she is in heat. An exam is much more meaningful then.

oh vair oh 02-19-2013 08:39 PM

Do the ultrasound. Our mare had an ovarian cyst that was causing her to be very uncomfortable - especially at the collected lope. Wringing tail, pinning ears, kicking out, etc.

The only problem is, our vet said the only way to make her better was to breed her so her reproductive system and hormones would dissipate the cyst. We bred her out, the cyst went away, and she's been a dream ever since.

Thunderspark 02-19-2013 11:49 PM

once you rule out a pain issue, then I think it would be more of a respect issue......do you do groundwork with her at all? Teach her to respect you and to listen to you? If you don't I would definetly do ground work with her, sometimes they just need their attitude knocked down a peg or two LOL
I follow Clinton Anderson's methods and I have two mares/two geldings.....don't have a problem with them.......do a search on Youtube for some vids of his, that might help if you don't know much about ground work. I ride my one mare in a bitless bridle and have for 8yrs., she's great with no bit.....I would like to get the other three going bitless too.
BTW welcome to horse forum :)

verona1016 02-21-2013 03:16 PM

I'd go with the ultrasound, also. One mare at my barn was having huge behavioral issues- when they ultrasounded her, they found that one of her ovaries was the size of a grapefruit and had to be removed. She's been much more pleasant since then :-)

Saddlebag 02-21-2013 05:49 PM

Ponies are smart and will test the rider periodically. As you lead her away from the others she's saying "I don't wanna" and you tell her she gets to work and lunge her with few circles but lots of change of direction. After about 5 min she'll want to stop which is fine as long as she continues to lead quietly. If she starts to fuss, repeat the exercise. It often takes 2 or 3 times before they figure it out, maybe even a 4th time. I'd try this first, it's free and she'll start figuring out you mean business. It's a good place to start.

EmilyJoy 02-21-2013 06:06 PM

Subbing to see what the results are! Pictures of her would be awesome too! :)