The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Bored (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/bored-154063/)

StarSenior 02-19-2013 04:11 PM

Bored

My friend and I ride together but we r at a loss for ideas of what to do, we are trying to think of fun games that will improve positions as well as give the horses a break!
Any ideas?

StarSenior 02-19-2013 04:29 PM

Anybody...?

emeraldstar642 02-19-2013 06:29 PM

That really depends on how experienced you and your horses are. Do you trot? Canter? Jump? If so, how high?

Not really a game, but when I ride I focus on exercises like figure 8's, serpentines, poles, etc... basically things that teach the horse I'm riding to be attentive, bend into turns, and stay balanced. You can also set up an obstacle course of various exercises such as weaving through poles, chutes, changing gaits, circles, etc. and see who can perform it better and without mistakes. Then try it stirrupless or bareback. If you jump you can try hunter pairs; that's always fun and challenging.

Sorry I can't be more help; it's difficult to give ideas when I don't know what experience level you're at.

Thyme 02-19-2013 07:24 PM

Although maybe not the safest me and my friend used to play tag when we were younger, I mean really play tag full on runs, sliding, super fun stuff but now we both have greenies. . . .
We would also ride double but have the second person (behind rider) turn around to face backwards, again bomb proof horse
We also will role play and act like we are fugitives or something trying to escape on horses (haha we still so this sometimes >.>)
. . . . get some nurf guns and targets to practice horse back shooting
ill come back if I think of anything else. . . .

StarSenior 02-20-2013 05:04 AM

Thanks!!

SorrelHorse 02-20-2013 05:19 AM

We play certain "games" in lessons. They aren't so much fun games though so much as sick torture methods. :rofl:

One is a race of sorts. Start at one end of the arena, pick up the lope, and race to the end. Only the catch? Last person to the finish wins. And you can't break gait.

We also practice working pairs. This is like drill and dressage mixed with two people to music. You have to stay together and perform a pattern.

Sometimes, she will have us hold a piece of ribbon and if we break it we're in trouble. lol

Another game she plays is for the barrel racers. You're supposed to come flying in the arena from the runway mach 5 whipping and spurring all the way, then trot. Yes. It's hard. We do it every now and then and Selena does the little jiggy hoppy thing but the running is fun and is good for your horse to find that sweet spot of soft downward transitions.

I got more but those are the ones I actually kinda like doing haha