The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blunt Force Trauma Leg Injury **Graphic Photos**

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  6W Ranch 
#1 ·
Ten days ago this filly kicked the steel post the first day she was being treated for a nasty, painful pastern cut. The day before yesterday, at 7 days, the leg gotten pretty swollen, and it was apparent the deep bruise was coming to the surface. I painted ichthammol on the area where it looked like the bruise was trying to surface, and started her on tucoprim to avoid an overt infection.

I think the power of ichthammol is underrated. I find it to be very effective and powerful at drawing pain and infection. It really prepares the wound bed for the next step. Usually 2-3 days is how long we use it to draw. Overnight it drew out most of the fluid, pain and swelling. The leg went down a lot. This is what it looked like after 24 hr ichthammol draw.

So yesterday, again, I painted on ichthammol and wrapped. This plug came out today, nice and clean. I sprayed the hole with Vetericyn, and painted on more ichthammol on the entire area, the wrapped.

Tomorrow, I'll start using wound salve on it and continue wrapping for a few more days. I post more pics in the coming days.

See less See more
#6 ·
This was damaged, dying tissue that got expelled, and the ichthammol just helps remove the gunk and infection. I've seen some open up and look pretty bad, and others where just the upper layers sloughed off. Up above the hole, that area may slough off, I can't really tell yet.

#5 ·
I hate it when horses are hurt. But I find these threads SO informative and fascinating. I appreciate those who share this information. It helps us all, I think.

#8 ·
If you're worried, be sure and take his temp. I didn't take the filly's temp, but she got very swollen and lame in one day, so I went ahead and got her on tucoprim. I don't like to overdo antibiotics, but she got worse pretty quick from kicking the stock. It was actually the rail, not the post she kicked.

#9 ·
Yesterday I did another 24 hour ichthammol draw as there was still a little fluid draining, and the damaged tissue hadn't sloughed off as of yesterday. It came off today, just hair and a very think layer of skin. I turned her out, and she ran and bucked. The lump went down even more after she was turned out. The exercise really helps with circulation and healing.

Tonight I just painted on a bit of salve on the hole, and left unwrapped.

#16 ·
Here's an update on the filly. The bruise is starting to grow hair, and not as tender. Exercise helps a lot. She's sound. Not looking her best, as she's in a rough, range-y growth stage right now. She'll get prettier and shinier soon. I don't want her getting too fat right now, as I'm about to start riding her, so I'll keep her a little lean, then put weight on her. She'll be fat and sassy soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.